William King Longscale Tenor with MiSi pickup

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Ok I have decided to eliminate the other threads and repost this as it should be.

I have decided to sell my William King A3 longscale tenor in order to continue to raise funds for my son's college bills. It is serial #076.The ironic part is that my son's name is Will King. Selling a Willaim King to help William King. :)

This is a difficult one to part with. William King no longer builds instruments and this already has become a collectible. And it is one of the best sounding ukes that I own. Excellent tone and volume with great sustain. But I don't reach for it enough because of the 19" scale to justify keeping it over some of my other ukes. So it has come time to bid thee adieu.

It is beautiful. Curly Claro Walnut with curly maple binding and a Swiss Spruce top. Here are the specs:

One piece curly Claro Walnut top and sides
Swiss Spruce top
Curly Maple binding
BWB top purfling, black side prufling
Abalone rosette
Ebony fretboard,head plate, scalloped heel cap, and bridge
Ebony/Abalone bridge pins
Spanish cedar neck
MiSi pickup
Oahu hardshell case

It is strung with Savarez Alliance strings reentrant, but they are due for a change. It is in excellent conditionwith no dents or dings. It does have minor surface scratches from the play that it has had. I have included a sound sample, but this is only the second sample that I have recorded and have yet to figure how to get the bugs out and get a nice clear recording. I apologize in advance, the sound is not great.

Price: $1600.00. USPS Express overnight shipping is included. Paypal please.

https://soundcloud.com/dkcrown/william-king-longscale-tenor

Last edited:
Nice short scale bari you got there!

If I may just weigh in on this thread. I have owned a William King uke, and I can tell you that he is an absolute master of construction--his work is flawless and probably of one of the cleanest and tightest builds I've seen from a custom. His ukes sound really amazing, too--a very sophisticated sound. also he doesn't even build anymore, so you really dont even have a chance to buy from him. He used to have long waiting lists, but now, you just have to wait for used ones to come up

...he doesn't even build anymore..

I had heard that. Just curious if anybody knows why he stopped building?

What a great opportunity; timing just stinks for me.

I had heard that. Just curious if anybody knows why he stopped building?

What a great opportunity; timing just stinks for me.

I was told William King's sight was failing, to the point where it prevented him from building instruments. Hope he's doing all right.

Beautiful uke !

Nice uke! I've done business with Dana (dkcrown) and will tell you that there may not be a more honest person on UU. You will get exactly what he claims and you will love it. :)

if it's not a long scale....i'd taken it from your hand already

Last edited:
I was told William King's sight was failing, to the point where it prevented him from building instruments. Hope he's doing all right.

Beautiful uke !

Hmm, I thought it was strictly a revenue issue. I commissioned one of his pen-penultimate ukes (the resplendent figuring on dcrown's being the better part of the inspiration) and was following his chantus page pretty much daily (its back up by the way in somewhat abbreviated form). One of his last posts suggested he was going back into programming, working on a startup using parallelization on small graphical chips to build a better mouse trap or some-such, total mad scientist stuff using Haskell, Python & Ruby. I really look forward to the fruits of this side excursion when he gets back to building in the 2030's

me too. agreed.
Nice uke! I've done business with Dana (dkcrown) and will tell you that there may not be a more honest person on UU. You will get exactly what he claims and you will love it. :)

I purchased a tenor from him a year or so back, maybe his last. It came through with some surface imperfections I didn't expect, although it sounded great. So I called him and he said send it back, I said I did not want to be parted from it and could he guide me to fix the surface blemishes. He sent me all the materials I needed and guided me into removing all surface flaws. It came out perfect. I'm still using his materials on other ukes I own to remove unwanted marks. He is a great man ,true gentleman, with incredible ability and a great loss as a luthier.

Your uke looks so beautiful I can almost cry I can't make a reasonable offer at this time. I wish you luck. Everyone out there this is a lifetime opportunity, if you got the $ do it.
Bob Myers

Oh boy I love me a bit of bromance!!!! Dana is one of my favourite folks on the UU. Period. Quite aside from that he has in his possession a very rare bird indeed and I only wish I had available funds to fly her home to me. Scorcher of a deal. :)

First of all thanks to all for the kind words about me, I am humbled. You guys are the best.

The uke has been sold. It will be shipped out after this blizzard that is heading our way tonight has had a chance to dump all of its snow on us. High winds are forecast(thus the blizzard.) Hope we don't lose power, going to get real cold here.

I'm going to keep the thread open until the buyer has had a chance to fall in love with this beauty.

First of all thanks to all for the kind words about me, I am humbled. You guys are the best.

The uke has been sold. It will be shipped out after this blizzard that is heading our way tonight has had a chance to dump all of its snow on us. High winds are forecast(thus the blizzard.) Hope we don't lose power, going to get real cold here.

I'm going to keep the thread open until the buyer has had a chance to fall in love with this beauty.

Congrats. You know you're only keeping the thread open so people can post how cool you are. :p

Dana is pretty cool. When I bought my long scale tenor from William a few years back, Dana sold me a discontinued ProTec case that fit the scale perfectly and he sent it direct to William so the uke would be shipped to me inside it. Love the uke to this day and the case is as I said, perfect. Whomever bought this uke is lucky to have it and fortunate to have a guy like Dana to buy from.

Well, it's probably best for me that it is gone so I can stop obsessing with creative ways to (a) come up with the funds and (b) convince my wife that this is an opportunity not to be missed. The latter would definitely be the harder hurdle to clear. ;-)

Top Bottom