Exit Through the Giftshop

Kōāpa‘a

Reaction score
Aloha,
I thought this movie might interest those who are interested in questions of art. "What is art?", "What drives art markets?" I know that there are already numerous threads and debates concerning "what is handbuilt", etc. and I am not trying to re-hash or necessarily propose an answer to those questions. But I think the movie provides an interesting parallel for the same issues that ukulele artists have been asking for a long time. Can be found via netflix and other movie providers I'm sure.

Prepare to watch it twice...i think you will be that hooked.

donovan

awesome movie...I teach AP 2d Studio Art(as a digital photography class) and show it to them after their portfolios are turned in. Teens love it and its a movie that everyone has a different opinion on what exactly 'happened'. At first they think it is cool just because its about graffiti art...then the ones who are paying attention proceed to have their minds blown. I've seen it over a dozen times now and still love it. I have different theories on what exactly is real and how much was planned out each time I see it.

Love that movie. I am constantly discussing with artist friends what is art vs what is product and why/if it matters.

When I saw the new generation of street artist using stencils I asked myself, "Is using stencils 'real' art?" and then I realized that I use "jigs" which allow a similar kind of replication, so I asked myself the same question. The act of introspection is what I found valuable in this process and not the "answer" that I came up with.

Kōāpa‘a;1465205 said:
When I saw the new generation of street artist using stencils I asked myself, "Is using stencils 'real' art?" and then I realized that I use "jigs" which allow a similar kind of replication, so I asked myself the same question. The act of introspection is what I found valuable in this process and not the "answer" that I came up with.

Art comes from inspiration regardless of the materials or techniques used. The rest is craft.

But the only answer I want from you is: When you gonna give me some of that snakewood you got hidden? ;)

Thanks for starting this thread. Just finished watching the documentary. Banksy is definitely the real deal.

Art comes from inspiration regardless of the materials or techniques used. The rest is craft.

But the only answer I want from you is: When you gonna give me some of that snakewood you got hidden? ;)

My stash is comprised of all of 2 or 3 fretboards and bridges, each of which has flaws which will need to be "worked around". Not nearly the quality you would be looking for :) That thread may have costed me a couple of hundred of dollars though in the purchase of new and cleaner snakewood fretboards in the very near future.

Thanks for starting this thread. Just finished watching the documentary. Banksy is definitely the real deal.
Awesome. Glad you liked it. I find it inspirational and thought provoking and that was the point. Not trying to stir things up just inspire thought.

Top Bottom