Nibbed Fretboard

Timbuck

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a Gibson style nibbed fretboard ..Seams like good idea..No fret tangs to cut and the binding is fitted after fretting..It's just the tedious filing around the fret ends that puts me off... but you have to dress the fret ends anyway so filing plastic maybe easier:confused:

The nibs are only a good idea if you love Gibsons. Keeping the binding between the frets even looking is harder than making nice nibs and is the real tedious part. If you fret the board before gluing it to the neck you can clean up the fret ends on the belt sander, after which dressing the ends is a piece of cake. But I'm sure the plastic nibs would be an added attraction to some people. Personally, nicely dressed fret ends are prettier.

I'm told it stops the strings getting trapped under the fret ends..But thats not going to happen with nylon strings ..is it ;)

It's as much of a problem if the binding loosens that the first string wedges down between the binding and fret, trapping the string and loosening the binding further. I've had that happen on a vintage guitar.

Worse yet is that nibbed binding becomes a cruel joke played on the repairperson that gets the refret job when it becomes necessary.

I'm told it stops the strings getting trapped under the fret ends..But thats not going to happen with nylon strings ..is it ;)

Ken, after seeing pix of your work I'd be surprised if you ever had a problem with strings falling off the fretboard and getting trapped under a fret end. The frets should seat firmly on the wood, and the outer strings should be well away from the ends if the instrument is set up right. If the unbound fretboard shrank from low humidity the fret ends can jut proud of the fretboard and cause problems. But under the same conditions the frets can push on the nibs and force the binding away from the wood.

I've never tried to preserve the nibs during a refret---they get sanded away when the board is sanded clean and true. Clients who wished to preserve the nibs were directed to a luthier who might make the effort. But after being told that frets that reach over the binding actually give a skosh more playing surface on the fret tops they always changed their minds. For the longest time I never beveled the fret ends, just filed them flush and then rounded them---sort of like half a hotdog sliced lengthwise and placed on the board with the flat side down. But that's mostly a trick for electric guitars.

Is it like this? If not, please critique..

(seeing it in the macro view of a photo, it looks jagged.. must do better next time)

Nice picture Chris! I can just make out the molecular structure of the wood!
I think the correct marketing term for the half hotdog fret ends is 'PSFE', which of course stands for Penis Shaped Fret Ends.

aka- semi hemispherical

In the guitar world, I've had some folks not like the feel of semi-hemi (that's the cool, non organ related, non organ meat term) fret ends. They say you feel the bumps more than beveled.

The binding nibs must have been an artifact of some odd time-saving factory method. There is no possible functional reason and many reasons against. But like so much tradition, it has it's proponents.

I pre-fret and bevel on the belt sander too, then barely file off the sharp corners with a file with the edge ground smooth, then sand the ends with 3M foam backed pads, tape off the board, then polish on the buffer.

In the guitar world, I've had some folks not like the feel of semi-hemi (that's the cool, non organ related, non organ meat term) fret ends. They say you feel the bumps more than beveled.]

I started doing "semi-hemi" hotdog frets when I ran into Dunlop 6100 fret wire. They are HUGE. If the ends were beveled the bevel would run all the way under the outside strings. Turned out that I liked the hotdog frets, so I offered them as an option and always kept a sample around. But its been years since I've done a refret. I'm so far out of the loop I have no idea what players like these days. I automatically use beveled frets on my instruments now just so they won't surprise anyone. I still like big frets, though. Medium guitar wire on everything.

Is it like this? If not, please critique..

(seeing it in the macro view of a photo, it looks jagged.. must do better next time)

If you keep rounding them that little flat on the very end will go away, but no one will notice just by playing them.

thank you for the tip :) After seeing these in the photo, I think the magnified visor might be a good tool when dressing fret ends.

Top Bottom