Is it time to change strings after 15 years ....

jjdejd

Reaction score
Borrowed a 15 year old Oscar Schmidt concert from a friend. It has the original strings. Not sure what brand, but I know they use Aquila now. Looking at the Nylgut 7U. Going to ask him if he minds the upgrade LOL

It doesn't sound too bad. It is a little mellow. Hope some new Aquila's will bring it back to life. I'm impressed with the action on this entry level uke.
Wow 15 years??!! How does the uke sound with 15 year old strings?

I'd give them a few more years to settle in.

Supposedly, James Jamerson, the legendary bassist for Motown, never changed his strings.

Supposedly, James Jamerson, the legendary bassist for Motown, never changed his strings.

My basses go pretty long between changes. I think the ones on my 5 string have been on there about two or 2-1/2 years, now and I gig with it a couple of times a week. As long as the intonation and sustain remains good there is really no reason to change them.

That's good because good flat wound bass strings are 'spensive, man.

John

Years ago my dad gave me his guitar. It is a 1936 kalamazoo. I looked at the strings and asked him when the last time he changed them was..... he said: Changed them? Ha! I thought I needed a tetanus shot just to play it!

Since I have your attention, I'm in the market for a concert. Looking at the KoAloha KCM-00. Your thoughts?

I prefer vintage strings that have had an opportunity to open up.

Aquilas sure made my OU5 come alive. Wasn't sure I was going to keep it until I tried them. Still not loud, but sweet and resonant. I also been meaning to install a bone saddle as well.

Last year I purchased a '50s Martin Style 3 that had been sitting in someone's closet as the player had passed on in that timeframe. The strings had almost fossilized. It was quite a challenge to get the strings to release from the slot in the bridge. But before that string change I was able to tune it up. Hard to believe. No sustain and very little volume but stayed in tune at 50+ years old.

Since I have your attention, I'm in the market for a concert. Looking at the KoAloha KCM-00. Your thoughts?

Yes,yes, and yes. KoAloha has the concert size down, IMO. Great tone, sustain, and huge volume.

Thanks. Do you know if it is a "high tension" uke? And what brand strings they use? My Pono came with Kamaka strings and it was like playing a cheese grater. LOL I since changed to Aquila. My Kanile'a came with Aquila and it is really easy yo play.
Yes,yes, and yes. KoAloha has the concert size down, IMO. Great tone, sustain, and huge volume.

Top Bottom