FS: Madagascar kabosy (diatonic/partial-fretted uke-like) US or CA

MatthewVanitas

Reaction score
CURRENTLY LOOKING TO DONATE IT TO A MUSIC-RELATED NON-PROFIT WHERE IT MIGHT FIND SOME OCCASIONAL USE AS A NOVELTY/EXPERIMENTAL PIECE.

Back in 20009 on a whim I emailed Waverly Street ukuleles to look into getting a diatonically-fretted ukulele, what is known as a kabosy in Madagascar. He made me a nice custom one with Gotoh tuners, based on plans from the Guild of American Luthiers.

This kabosy is tuned to an open-C chord, 17" (tenor-length) neck, and the partial frets are specifically made so that only notes in the C-scale can be fretted. One really cool aspect of this is that if you barre-chord across it, you'll automatically get chords relative to C, like if you bar at the A portion the chord will automatically be Am instead of Amaj. So it's like a uke that always plays in key.

It's a really neat oddity, and well-made, but I may be moving overseas soon and I'm trimming down to the bare musical essentials. It's in good condition except for a small split in the soundboard grain due to the soundhole having a point into the grain. It stops at the soundhole and has been stable for years, but I'm knocking the price way down for this cosmetic defect.

Video demonstration: http://youtu.be/tXrpxjtHD-4

If you've been looking for a uke that nobody else on your block has, this is your chance! Asking $175 NOW $99 (I paid over $400, but I realize for something this odd I won't make that back), plus shipping to you in the US or Canada.

2llzpdt.jpg

2rpwrpl.jpg

91i2ac.jpg

33er60i.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, any sound samples ?
What is the scale length? Tenor or concert ?

I found this on youtube, I think it is very similar.

In Pittsburgh, where I'm originally from, we pronounce Kielbasa - kabosy (pronounced kabossy) LOL

Price reduced to $99. Also note I've included a video demonstration!

Is it still for sale?

Hi - if it still for sale I would really like to get it

thanks

CURRENTLY LOOKING TO DONATE IT TO A MUSIC-RELATED NON-PROFIT WHERE IT MIGHT FIND SOME OCCASIONAL USE AS A NOVELTY/EXPERIMENTAL PIECE.

Back in 20009 on a whim I emailed Waverly Street ukuleles to look into getting a diatonically-fretted ukulele, what is known as a kabosy in Madagascar. He made me a nice custom one with Gotoh tuners, based on plans from the Guild of American Luthiers.

This kabosy is tuned to an open-C chord, 17" (tenor-length) neck, and the partial frets are specifically made so that only notes in the C-scale can be fretted. One really cool aspect of this is that if you barre-chord across it, you'll automatically get chords relative to C, like if you bar at the A portion the chord will automatically be Am instead of Amaj. So it's like a uke that always plays in key.

It's a really neat oddity, and well-made, but I may be moving overseas soon and I'm trimming down to the bare musical essentials. It's in good condition except for a small split in the soundboard grain due to the soundhole having a point into the grain. It stops at the soundhole and has been stable for years, but I'm knocking the price way down for this cosmetic defect.

Video demonstration: http://youtu.be/tXrpxjtHD-4

If you've been looking for a uke that nobody else on your block has, this is your chance! Asking $175 NOW $99 (I paid over $400, but I realize for something this odd I won't make that back), plus shipping to you in the US or Canada.

2llzpdt.jpg

2rpwrpl.jpg

91i2ac.jpg

33er60i.jpg

Top Bottom