Uke Cover: JJ Cale's "Sensitive Kind" (multi-track video)

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Hi, UU'ers ~ If you've watched the last few vids that I've done, you might remember that I'm on a multi-tracking kick. I've got an iPad with GarageBand and iMovie, and for the last year or so, I had tried to figure out how to make multi-track videos using GarageBand and iMovie on my iPad. I couldn't find much out there online that was specific info to making "music videos" with these tools. But, after making five of them the past couple of months, I feel like I am kind of getting more versed in the software tools, and the speed with which I can make them has improved, too. I am really having a lot of fun and learning so much with doing these.

This post is for a video I did for Alan's (UU's "decaturcomp") Season of the Ukulele week 100 -- his theme was 'Magic and Loss.' I worked all week on putting together an entry for his week -- I chose a cover of "Sensitive Kind" by JJ Cale; this tune came out on JJ's album "5" which was released in 1979. I have been a fan of JJ's music for almost 25 years, and have always loved this song of his (along with plenty of other ones by him).

With this song, I went for an entirely different approach in making the cover from the way the song was originally done (which I know can be pretty risky to do, but...I am learning). I wanted to do something kind of on the "trippy side" and with a somewhat "haunting/eery" flavor. I hope you'll like what I did. As always, thanks for all of your support and watching! :)

Cheers,
~ Chelle aka "hochapeafarm"

Hi Chelle,

I was so very impressed by your previous video where you covered The Samples, and and now you have even surpassed that one in terms of feeling, as well as technical editing of the sound and video.

Wow. Just. WOW!

There are no words.

I am almost speechless, but I can say the following...

I agree with camsuke about the 'haunting' or eery feeling, it's partly like having a window into your world (the world of the song) and looking over your shoulder (as you walk down the hallway to the closed door) as well as having a front row seat to your performance with each instrument.

The look on your face in certain parts is one of sadness, consternation, intensity, and is very powerful, and so much so that I don't even know what the words are about yet (I have to watch it a few more times :) in order to actually hear them) since I am distracted by the powerful visuals.

I especially like the camera shot where you have it fixed on you, but you are apparently turning and we can see the room spinning around you. I have always liked this effect, and you have executed it well. (I have a silly video I did like that as a joke a few yrs back and was dizzy afterwards - ha ha)...

Also, (and I mean this as a BIG complement) for some reason, your vocal here reminds me of Olivia Newton John, from one of her early albums. I can't quite put my finger on why, but that is the takeaway from your vocal delivery. Lots of feeling, very delicate, but also VERY deliberate.

I am inspired. Thank you! :)

-Booli

Fabulous video Chelle! The haunting sound you created works really well, it adds another layer of color to the story. Top stuff!

Hi, Campbell! Thanks a million for the positive feedback and support! You help give me the encouragement to keep learning, growing, and trying to push past my comfort zone -- thanks for always having my back! :)

Hi Chelle,

I was so very impressed by your previous video where you covered The Samples, and and now you have even surpassed that one in terms of feeling, as well as technical editing of the sound and video.

Wow. Just. WOW!

There are no words.

I am almost speechless, but I can say the following...

I agree with camsuke about the 'haunting' or eery feeling, it's partly like having a window into your world (the world of the song) and looking over your shoulder (as you walk down the hallway to the closed door) as well as having a front row seat to your performance with each instrument.

The look on your face in certain parts is one of sadness, consternation, intensity, and is very powerful, and so much so that I don't even know what the words are about yet (I have to watch it a few more times :) in order to actually hear them) since I am distracted by the powerful visuals.

I especially like the camera shot where you have it fixed on you, but you are apparently turning and we can see the room spinning around you. I have always liked this effect, and you have executed it well. (I have a silly video I did like that as a joke a few yrs back and was dizzy afterwards - ha ha)...

Also, (and I mean this as a BIG complement) for some reason, your vocal here reminds me of Olivia Newton John, from one of her early albums. I can't quite put my finger on why, but that is the takeaway from your vocal delivery. Lots of feeling, very delicate, but also VERY deliberate.

I am inspired. Thank you! :)

-Booli

Booli, just want to give a big shout out, here, too, filled with tons of gratitude, to you for this incredible feedback! I am really very touched by your thoughtful comments regarding the video -- thank you so much for watching and for taking time to write/send along your impressions -- I am honored and so very appreciative! :)

Well done Chelle, you really are getting good at this stuff! Liked it a lot, Spaaooooky!

Hi, Leroy!!! Thanks so much for checking out my experimental eery vid! I had fun learning how to use iMovie a bit more with adjusting the little movie clips within to make this one. Thank you very much for your comments & support! It makes me so happy that you liked the vid! :)

My fav video of you (so far...)! Looks good, sounds good! Super arrangement with glockenspiel. :D

Hey, hi!!! Thank you so much for watching the video and for your comments, too! I've heard that you guys might be coming to the States this summer -- and that there is a possible uke jam session plan that is in the works out on the west coast??? I am hoping it will work out and I would love to join you all! It'd be amazing to meet you!!!

Top Bottom