Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Ukulele, too many choices

Fropa

Reaction score
I've been reading posts on this site for about a week and narrowed my choices to 3 Kala KA concert models: Spalted Maple, Pacific Walnut, or Solid Spruce top. Didn't really want a laminate but liked the look of these 2, and didn't really like the light colored top but liked the idea of a solid top. Went to a couple local shops today but not many choices. One had a $1,000 Martin which was really nice but way over my budget for a first Uke. The other had a couple Kala models, but not the ones I was looking for. Sweetwater and Sam Ash had the models I wanted at good prices so was going to have to make a final choice. More reading here and my plan changed.

Now I want to order a Mainland Mahogany from Uke Republic. I've decided solid wood and a good setup is worth going a little over what I planned to spend. Any advice on friction or sealed tuners?

I have acoustic and electric guitars and basses and a banjo that my wife has had no desire to ever pick up. Once I started talking about a ukulele she said she might give it a try. Maybe being able to play a better, well setup uke will spark her interest.

I'd recommend getting the Mainland from Uke Republic if you can afford it. A good setup makes a world of difference and this will suppress the urge to run out and get a better one straight away. I like open geared tuners on ukulele's. Light weight and do the job. Sealed tuners are fine but add a little weight to the headstock. I don't like friction pegs. Too frustrating to get the instrument fine tuned but many love them. Every pastime has to have its masochists and friction pegs are one for the masochists/traditionalists.

Anthony

I third the Mainland with the open geared tuners from Uke Republic.

Yep, Mainland mahogany concert with geared tuners (sealed appears to be the only choice in geared for this model) is a great choice.

Mainland is an excellent first uke. While you can spend less, with Mainland you are getting a good quality solid wood uke at a very reasonable price. Friction pegs can be a little vexing to beginners, so I would recommend the sealed tuners. I think the notion of the sealed tuner being too heavy is overblown; I sincerely doubt you'll notice it.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Mainland. Whatever you choose, congratulations on your first ukulele!

Thanks for the help everybody. I ordered my Uke today with the silver sealed geared tuners and matte finish. Now the really hard part of the process, waiting for it to get here.

Top Bottom