Crack/snap noise when restringing

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So I've been constantly switching out strings on my Kanile'a tenor, trying to find the ones that I am happiest with. So far, I had the original Aquilas, tried Worth browns, went back to Aquilas, then restringed with D'addario J71s.

I love the sound of the the J71s, but my problem is this: when I was initially installing the new strings, and winding the tuner, I heard what sounded like a crack or snap sound. I immediately stopped what I was doing, and inspected the instrument. I can't see anything wrong with it, and the uke is playing fine and has no damage that I can see anywhere.

I went ahead and finished putting them on, and have been playing with them for the last two days. I really like the sounds of them, but now I'm nervous that the tension is too high.

I know that is insane because tons of you guys have J71s on your ukulele, and they are tenor strings for a tenor uke. I didn't know the tension level of the Aquilas but are the D'addarios that much higher?

Has anyone ever heard a snap or crack noise when restringing before? :confused: And no, I wasn't eating Rice Krispies while restringing.

So I've been constantly switching out strings on my Kanile'a tenor, trying to find the ones that I am happiest with. So far, I had the original Aquilas, tried Worth browns, went back to Aquilas, then restringed with D'addario J71s.

I love the sound of the the J71s, but my problem is this: when I was initially installing the new strings, and winding the tuner, I heard what sounded like a crack or snap sound. I immediately stopped what I was doing, and inspected the instrument. I can't see anything wrong with it, and the uke is playing fine and has no damage that I can see anywhere.

I went ahead and finished putting them on, and have been playing with them for the last two days. I really like the sounds of them, but now I'm nervous that the tension is too high.

I know that is insane because tons of you guys have J71s on your ukulele, and they are tenor strings for a tenor uke. I didn't know the tension level of the Aquilas but are the D'addarios that much higher?

Has anyone ever heard a snap or crack noise when restringing before? :confused: And no, I wasn't eating Rice Krispies while restringing.

More then likely just your nut or bridge reseating.

The sound is probably the end of the string snapping into place in the bridge. If nothing broke, it's not worth worrying about. :D

My guess would be the knot at the bridge was just seating itsself.

Ukantor

Yeah that's happened a lot with my Lanikai that also has bridge pins. When tightening a new set of strings, the strings will wedge more tightly into the slot between the notch and the bridge pin, and it makes a noise. It always makes me jump but it's not anything wrong. :)

well, i heard a crack snao noise when i unstrung my uke Lmao...

Top Bottom