Which Uke should I upgrade to?

MichaelMillett3

Reaction score
I've been playing Ukulele for about 7 months now and I've played on a Lanikai LU-21 Soprano. I'm now looking to upgrade to a Tenor size and I don't know which one to buy. I have about $160 and I'm thinking of just getting a LU-21T but I've considered the LSM-T. I

just want a nice rich full mello sounding tenor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For a few bucks more you could upgrade to a couple of fine tenors; Mainland or Ohana. Personally i like the mainland. You could also go for a higher quality buying used. the most imprtant thing in any uke purchase is if it's been setup properly. The forum usually recommends HMS, Uke Republic or Mim's Ukes because they re-check every instrument for intonation and action before sending it out.

Welcome to the forum and am looking forward to which tenor you end up with. If you go with Lanikai, I suggest you look at ones from the above dealers.

For a few bucks more you could upgrade to a couple of fine tenors; Mainland or Ohana. Personally i like the mainland. You could also go for a higher quality buying used. the most imprtant thing in any uke purchase is if it's been setup properly. The forum usually recommends HMS, Uke Republic or Mim's Ukes because they re-check every instrument for intonation and action before sending it out.

Welcome to the forum and am looking forward to which tenor you end up with. If you go with Lanikai, I suggest you look at ones from the above dealers.
I second everything he said.
The used way is really awesome, especially from here. most people are honest with what they have and very fair on prices.

Well there is KPK which seems to be getting popular. I don't think I've seen any negative comments about their ukuleles yet.

There are some good comments here....sticking with your budget is a good idea! Most people I know spent less than that for thier ukes...

From what you have, I would seriously be considering a Mainland from the sources already mentioned.

I'd call the uke you're considering as more of a lateral move, and that's not a bad thing, especially if you have somewhat limited funds. It's good to find out what size feels right for you and THEN start getting into a better instrument.

Kala is my go to uke. I have tried several others including Mainland, and nothing sounds bette than my 2 Kalas. I have a soprano and a concert. Go to a music store and try them out and see what you like. Everyone has different preferences. Ordering on line is risky if you have not heard what you are ordering. You can get a descent uke in your price range. In the uke world, the higher the price the nicer the nice however. Best of luck.

Have you actually played a tenor? I have one tenor and several concert scale 'ukulele. The concert scale suits me pretty well even though I'm a big guy. My tenor (a Pono ATD setup from HMS) is a really nice instrument. Good intonation and loud as a cannon. But it is significantly more difficult to play than my concerts. The fretboard is wider. Fret spacing is wider (I only play first position chords so far). String tension is higher. It's just harder to play. It's never my go to 'uke. And when I do play it I move on to one of my others after a few songs. YMMV.

Tenors may be right for you but spend some time with one if you can to see if you like the way they play.

I've been playing Ukulele for about 7 months now and I've played on a Lanikai LU-21 Soprano. I'm now looking to upgrade to a Tenor size and I don't know which one to buy. I have about $160 and I'm thinking of just getting a LU-21T but I've considered the LSM-T. I

just want a nice rich full mello sounding tenor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

WIth your budget you really wouldn't be upgrading. It would be more like you are changing sizes. A lanikai is still a lanikai.
But as mentioned previously, if you really want to upgrade, save a little more money and look at solid tops or solid wood ukes. I like the Mainland brand just above your current budget.
Rant follows (not towards OP, just in general...stop reading if you please).

Rant:
I believe there is a misconception that upgrading is changing your size from soprano to concert or tenor. We play ukuleles not cars:) I am totally speaking from personal experience. I started out playing a concert and I thought upgrading was going to a tenor. Now that I look back on it, it was an upgrade b/c I went with solid koa and a p/u vs a solid mahogany concert.
End Rant.

Rant:
I believe there is a misconception that upgrading is changing your size from soprano to concert or tenor. We play ukuleles not cars:) I am totally speaking from personal experience. I started out playing a concert and I thought upgrading was going to a tenor. Now that I look back on it, it was an upgrade b/c I went with solid koa and a p/u vs a solid mahogany concert.
End Rant.

Hey Y. C., you're new here. Welcome!

There are occasionally rants posted here on UU but yours isn't one of them. Just keep reading and hang on to your hat! :uhoh:

Top Bottom