Need help quick on which to buy...

NatalieS

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need help!!

I'm really excited.... for my upcoming birthday my family is going to get me a new uke! I have narrowed it down to two choices but need to make a decision fast. You'll understand why in a sec.

My two choices are either:
- brand new Kiwaya KTS-4 from MGM, with hard case (http://cgi.ebay.com/Kiwaya-Solid-Ma...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50) or....
- used/like new Kiwaya KTS-6, with hard case (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KTS6.htm)

I really can't make up my mind. I think the short fretboard of the KTS-4 is really cute, but I also like the extra decoration of the KTS-6 and the price is great since it's used. I should mention that either purchase would be identical in price. Should I have strong feelings either way? I need to make a decision fast because I told the lady with the KTS-6 that I'd have my mind made up tonight.

Help???

Nice present! I like the look of the KTS-4 as well and would probably go with that as long as you don't plan on playing above the 12th fret (where the KTS-4 stops). The two should sound the same so it really all comes down to looks.

I just checked and the KTS6 at Elderly says not currently available.

But if is still out there, and you have the choice, I would say go with the 4. I just like the looks/styling of it better. But my opinion is highly uninformed, so I'd see what people more familiar with the Kiwaya models have to say.

Good luck either way and congrats on your new ukulele. Happy Birthday.

The KTS6 is a used instrument that I'd be buying from an individual not Elderly. Just to clarify. :)

Okay I've got two votes for the KTS-4. Argh I just can't make up my mind! I better do some quick thinking before tonight. Any other opinions?

No unfortunately I can't, neither are local. I've watched YouTube videos of both but can't really find any differences in the sound.

No unfortunately I can't, neither are local. I've watched YouTube videos of both but can't really find any differences in the sound.

Then I'd go with the new one. Something about a brand-spanking new uke is so awesome. :rock:

I like extended fretboards on sopranos so I'd vote for the KTS-6, especially since they're at the same price.

I have a KTS-7, which is the same exact uke as the KTS-6 except with a few extra decorations, and it's a pretty nice instrument. Probably as good of a soprano as any I have tried so far.

Last edited:
I believe the KTS-6 and -7 have a matte finish, is that right, GX9901? If so, I think I prefer the satin finish of the KTS-4. And I have to admit, that short fretboard is appealing more and more to me, for some reason.

All right, I've made up my mind.... I don't like the binding on the KTS-6. KTS-4 it is, from MGM!

I would go for the 6 since I really enjoy the old Martin style 3's that the KT6's are supposed to be modern renditions of, minus some decorations. KTS4's are very good too, more like a Martin style 0 copy, but personally I think buying a used higher-end instrument is better than buying a new lower-end one.

Thanks, I'm really excited to get it (scheduled delivery is next Friday). I've always loved the look of the Martin O and this is the closest modern counterpart I could find. Plus it's within the realm of possibility, price-wise. LOL.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow! :nana: I've been tracking it...

Hawaii --> Ontario Canada --> quick stop in Memphis --> Alabama tomorrow!

P.S. Oh, and since this is my birthday present and my family lives 500 miles away, I've promised to make a video of unwrapping it. LOL

Last edited:
It's supposed to arrive tomorrow! :nana: I've been tracking it...

Hawaii --> Ontario Canada --> quick stop in Memphis --> Alabama tomorrow!

P.S. Oh, and since this is my birthday present and my family lives 500 miles away, I've promised to make a video of unwrapping it. LOL

Sweet!

Kiwaya ukes are outstanding. Looking forward to some videos. :D

Oh my, it's here, it's here! I had the longest day today, but when I got home my uke had indeed been delivered! I forced myself to take my dogs for their walk first, because the sun was getting ready to go down, but it was worth the extra anticipation.

:love:I LOVE IT!!!!!:love:

Pics tomorrow....

Top Bottom