Steel C string on my new tenor?

Danyorks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a bit of a newbie to the Ukulele - I have just received a new Kala Ka-smt and it has come with a steel C string.

Is this the norm?

That is probably not a steel string but simply a wound nylon string (nylon core with a metalized winding). If it's truly a steel string it would be very bad for the uke as the tension would be quite high.

Some people like wound C strings, others hate them, you'll just have to decide for yourself on that issue.

John

Thanks for the quick reply. I have not come across this before, but I am relatively new to the uke!

If you want to tune it low G, a wound G would balance it out nicely. I have the cutaway model that I have low G's for.

Hi all,

I am a bit of a newbie to the Ukulele - I have just received a new Kala Ka-smt and it has come with a steel C string.

Is this the norm?

Its prob wound and not solid steel unless its a solid body uke steel strings really are not meant for it.

Are you sure its the "C" string and not the "G" typically low G is a thing used on a lot of tenors which requires the use of a wound G strings to tune the G lower. The C string is the 2nd string down from the top the G string would be the top first (facing you) i say top this way to explain it but technically the top starts the other way. Hope that makes sense.

@iamesperambient - just FYI using a wound C string isn't extremely unusual on tenors. Depending on the uke and playing style it can give a more balanced sound and on less expensive ukes it can alleviate the problem of a thick C-string not seating far enough into the molded nut and thus can be a really quick cure for open-position intonation.

HMS sells several string sets with a wound 3rd, with or without a wound 4th.

John

There's a couple of string brands who have a wound 4th, a wound 3rd or both . . . As John mentioned previously, some like wounds and some don't. Whatever your personal preference is . . .

It's probably a nylon/floss core with an aluminum wrap around it, so it gives a wound sound with a very low tension.

And yeah; lots of companies have a wound C on their tenor sets. Not uncommon at all.

Once again, thanks for the replies. It is the C string (I know that much!!)
They are actually D’Addario strings. It sounds pretty good to my untrained ear! I was just wondering, my mind is now at rest - thanks!

For myself, any uke of mine that has a wound 3&4, the strings will be Southcoast HML-RW's. They cost a little more but well worth it. Am about to try Dirks reentrant equivalent on one of them.

Top Bottom