DIY Banjo Uke

mr roper

Reaction score
I'm quite satisfied with how this turned out. Still needs tweeking but sounds good already. I pulled the neck from a Butler Music "gambler's special" Lanikai concert. The drum came from Peripolefront2.jpgback.jpgco. rod.jpgtail end.jpgheel ext..jpg

Let's hear the baby in action!

Nice job! What size is the head and where did you get the tail piece?
Its an 8" drum. The tail piece came off of an older Kay banjo that I replaced with a no knot. That style tail piece is still available new (Stewmac, Elderly etc.)

Hi...nice job...I'm in the process of doing a similar thing myself

Nice job Mr R. I hope that Lanakai was in need of surgery!
The Lanikai was playable, just dead sounding. Also the wood was plain compared to the usual LU line wood. It came from that shipping container of ukes that Lanikai rejected.

Attachments

• remove neck.jpg
    remove neck.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
First problem that needs fixing. In the last picture in the first post you can see that I've left no clearance for tightening the head.

First problem that needs fixing. In the last picture in the first post you can see that I've left no clearance for tightening the head.

Bummer.... That's right. I did that once - wasn't too bad to fix, depends what method you'll use to deepen that ledge. Or maybe you won't have to tighten the head. Another possibility is an 8" macrame ring (yes, really - and you can find them super cheap online) between the head and the rim. It will buy you a LITTLE more room for tightening the head, and it would also brighten the tone (if you are seeking that) - a low budget but effective "tone ring" of sorts.

Also, does your fingerboard extend out over the head? If so it will be very hard to change the head (yes, I did that one, too. Didn't fix that, just had to take off the neck to switch the head). Then againin you may never have to or want to swap the head.... But an 8" fiberskyn Remo (sp?) head would really punch up the sound.... A worthwhile upgrade, IMHO. Depending on how close the fretboard is to the head, the macrame ring mentioned above might not be an option.

Damned nice job.

Bummer.... That's right. I did that once - wasn't too bad to fix, depends what method you'll use to deepen that ledge. Or maybe you won't have to tighten the head. Another possibility is an 8" macrame ring (yes, really - and you can find them super cheap online) between the head and the rim. It will buy you a LITTLE more room for tightening the head, and it would also brighten the tone (if you are seeking that) - a low budget but effective "tone ring" of sorts.

Also, does your fingerboard extend out over the head? If so it will be very hard to change the head (yes, I did that one, too. Didn't fix that, just had to take off the neck to switch the head). Then againin you may never have to or want to swap the head.... But an 8" fiberskyn Remo (sp?) head would really punch up the sound.... A worthwhile upgrade, IMHO. Depending on how close the fretboard is to the head, the macrame ring mentioned above might not be an option.

The neck is just bolted so removing it to make adjustments shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, un bolting the neck is not a problem.

I forgot to congratulate you in my other reply on this thread. Looks great - would love to hear it. Nice work extending the heel; looks like the bridge landed in a pretty good spot. Nice.

Top Bottom