PDA

View Full Version : Charango makers/sellers in Ecuador

chikon2000
01-21-2014, 03:52 PM
I may be going to Ecuador next month, and was wondering whether anyone can recommend any luthiers or sellers down there that specialize in charangos. I will mostly be in Loja, but will hopefully have a free day in Quito.

Doug W
01-26-2014, 12:28 PM
This is not a recommendation from my own personal experience but here is one guy's charango buying experience about 2 hours north of Quito.
http://stopdroptravel.com/2012/12/charango-searching-in-ecuador/

My kids bought me a charango for my 60th birthday. I am no expert on it but I do enjoy playing it.

chikon2000
01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Doug. The trip has been cancelled, alas, but I am pretty intrigued by these instruments, not the least because of their similar tuning to the uke.

Doug W
01-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Too bad that the trip was cancelled. I lived in South America for 6 years and owned a charango that I bought in the market but unfortunately it got lost somewhere.

I am not sure which website my kids ordered my charango from but it wasn't a real smooth transcaction and arrived a month later than expected.

So I don't have any advice on where to order one online. Any chance you have a shop in your area that might carry one?

chikon2000
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Sadly, no. Memphis seems to be a charango free zone!