Fluorocarbon String Conspiracy?

SuperSecretJohn

Reaction score
Before I begin, let me say that I have yet to actually try fluorocarbon fishing line on an ukulele; this is merely speculation. This is a roughly estimated word problem. Now we just need a guinea pig to actually try the Seaguars!

You have 3 ukuleles:
1 tenor (traditional)
1 tenor (low G)
1 soprano (traditional)

Seaguar FC leaders
Code:
100yd 80lb $90
"     60    75
"     50    62
"     40    53
"     30    40
"     25    33

diameter
80lb .810mm/.032" - tenor low G
60   .740mm/.029" - tenor C
50   .660mm/.026" - tenor E, soprano/concert C
40   .620mm/.024" - tenor g, soprano/concert E
30   .520mm/.020" - tenor A, soprano/concert g
25   .435mm/.017" - soprano/concert A

You change all four (4) strings on each ukulele every two (2) months. You have 100 yards for each string per ukelele and use four (4) yards (1 yard per string) every string change. Calculate the total costs of the strings and how long until you run out of string.

4 yards per ukulele x 6 times per year = 24 yards per ukulele per year

400 yards per ukulele / 24 yards per ukulele per year = 16 years and 8 months

Code:
Tenor =       $230 for 400 yards = 16 years and 8 months
Tenor low G =  280     "           "
Soprano =      188     "           "
Total =       $698 for 1200 yards lasting 16 years and 8 months

You use 4 yards every string change every two (2) months with $9, $8, and $7 string sets for 16 years and 8 months. How much will you spend on string sets for each price?

6 sets a year x $9 per set = $54 per year
$54 x 16 years + ($9 x 4) = $900 for 16 years and 8 months per ukulele

6 sets a year x $8 per set = $48 per year
$48 x 16 years + ($8 x 4) = $800

6 sets a year x $7 per set = $42 per year
$42 x 16 years + ($7 x 4) = $700

Conclusion: If you like the sound of Seaguars, you can have save HUNDREDS. Personal results vary depending on how often you change strings on ukuleles. Many can use less than a yard per string, so, technically, these can last for $20+ years if you don't change them regularly. No matter how often you change strings, the savings are MONUMENTAL!

If you buy $9 ORCAS strings for three (3) ukuleles every two (2) months for 16 years and 8 months, you'd spend $2700 total!
$8 Blackline or Worth strings ($16 for 2 sets)? $2400
$7 Fremont strings? $2100
400 yards per tenor low G ukulele for 3 ukuleles? $840
400 yards per soprano/concert for 3 ukuleles? $564

You can save anywhere from $1260 to $2136 by purchasing Seaguars in 100yd bulk for any three (3) ukulele combination of tenor, tenor (low G), soprano, or concert over a span greater than or equal to 16 years and 8 months!

Last edited:
ROFL, it is a conspiracy. :) I cant tell the difference between segaur fishing line I nicked from my Dad's tackle box and Freemont Blacks. I thought my friend was pulling my leg but he was dead on serious that who he works for also sells it to a music company (not Freemont, but a well regarded company who sells strings) and they package it as strings.

Just think of the possibilities.. Introducing the Ronco pocket fishuke! That's right folks for those times when stranded on a desert island your convenient folding pocket uke can provide hours of entertainment and sustenance! The die-cast tuning pegs can reel in thousands of fish and never need to be replaced! Made of high quality space age polymers the pocket fishuke will never warp due to high humidity, it's convenient size fits in any large pocket, and we supply a lifetime of strings! (All you do is pay $9.99 for shipping and handling) It's indestructable, it's fun, and best of all it can fish!

lol...what? so fluorocarbon string is just a fancy term for fishing line? with all your maths you have come up with the idea that if you bought diffrent lines of fishing string (to their respective sizes) then you could save hundreds of dollars? intresting...

i would need to hear two equal ukuleles with equal strings and everything. It would be nice if i could most ofmy life with out buying string. considering im am horrible about changeing string, i could most likely streach out that 20 years to 25-30...

I'm an avid fisherman and have a bunch of fluorocarbon line in my tackle. Now you got me thinking if the fishing line manufacturers are making the line under the same tolerances as some of the string manufacturers. Aside from Seaguars, there is Yozuri, J-line, Berkley, Relix who all make fluorocarbon line. Perhaps I can do a fishing line comparison in rentrant tuning.

Last edited:
If you buy $9 ORCAS strings for three (3) ukuleles every two (2) months for 16 years and 8 months, you'd spend $2700 total!
$8 Blackline or Worth strings ($16 for 2 sets)? $2400
$7 Fremont strings? $2100
400 yards per tenor low G ukulele for 3 ukuleles? $840
400 yards per soprano/concert for 3 ukuleles? $564

You can save anywhere from $1260 to $2136 by purchasing Seaguars in 100yd bulk for any three (3) ukulele combination of tenor, tenor (low G), soprano, or concert over a span greater than or equal to 16 years and 8 months!
An enterprising person could also put together their own sets using Seaguars, sell them for $5 apiece, and make 100% profit on a $560-$840 investment while still saving their customers $2-4 a set.

To add, you're saving between 60% and 76% on fluorocarbon strings depending on which brand you choose and what kind of ukuleles you own.--even more if you can squeeze more sets out of a 100yd spool by using less than a yard per string.

Heck just drop them in a pot of bioling water and add some rite dye and you could have any color string in the rainbow.

i have a cheap ukulele that i've been meaning to mod -- new nut and saddle, etc. and i have loads of fluoro around the house. i wonder if there is a place where they have the diameters listed and we could closely match up the strings? hahaha funny thing is if you go up to a fisherman and call his line "strings" he'd give you an evil smirk.

I'm an avid fisherman and have a bunch of fluorocarbon line in my tackle. Now you got me thinking if the fishing line manufacturers are making the line under the same tolerances as some of the string manufacturers. Aside from Seaguars, there is Yozuri, J-line, Berkley, Relix who all make fluorocarbon line. Perhaps I can do a fishing line comparison in rentrant tuning.

could you please? i would :bowdown:

well if you keep the lines in a good storage i doubt they will break down. as for varaity, it really only works if those are the only strings you like, after going though dozens of other brands.

could you please? i would :bowdown:

Went to the fishing store on my lunchbreak....I told you guys I would. My friends who work there gave me a weird look when I told them I was looking for strings for my uke, ha! One brand didn't have the diameters, but I had my friend who works there, email me it. Will open the excel file later when I get home and see if the strings come close to say a Savarez Alliance set. The guitar guys were saying the Seaguar fishing line was clear and bright, but without the "ping" sound that Savarez has.

I'm a fisherman and love fluorocarbon leader, so no line/strings will go to waste. If I find a setup that works, even if it's 16 years worth, I'll just give um out. Deach, you'll be first on my list!

Of cource flourocarbon is fishing line Been a well known fact however. How many of your want to spring for three rolls of 100 or 50 yard leader that will intially cost you about 160.00 to get just for the guages for tenor...thus people package strings. Also they get some diameters that are not typical 40 50 60 70 80 pound test...and different densities when they try to make strings...

I bought a set of worth clears for 2 ukes. Strung my old kamaka no problem. When it came to my risa, the knot kept popping out of the uke, and I eventually trimmed it too short. I was in a one A string deficit. So, I put on my thinking cap and compared the A string to different fishing line. the closest was 25 lb test, but I didn't have enough. Closest was 30 lb. test, when I put it on,none of the people knew it wasn't actually an ukulele string. Works fine, even when plugged in. You can't actually tell the difference just by looking

Of cource flourocarbon is fishing line Been a well known fact however. How many of your want to spring for three rolls of 100 or 50 yard leader that will intially cost you about 160.00 to get just for the guages for tenor...thus people package strings. Also they get some diameters that are not typical 40 50 60 70 80 pound test...and different densities when they try to make strings...

I already get. damn those sturgeons and threshers!

There's no conspiracy, but it takes a lot of experimentation to find a brand/brands of strings and diameters that work well with the different ukulele. It's no secret that fluorocarbon fishing line is used for ukulele strings. In fact, Worth told us clearly that their sets are made from fishing line. However, they work with the manufacturer directly on blending fluorocarbon and other materials to get the right tension and feel of each set. We spent months experimenting with different combinations of strings before arriving at our current OEM configuration.

Want to know something really classified? GHS, Martin, and almost all black nylons are made from brush and bristle fibers. Dupont manufactures them as micro rods for industrial use in assembling brush heads.

Ukulele is such a small market, almost no large company will make strings specifically for our instrument. The guitar world is much larger, so it's worth the investment for people to make strings with the proper intended use. However, the manufacturing process really isn't much different than fishing line or brush fibers. The biggest difference is that string specific factories have better quality control on diameters.

Top Bottom