KoAloha KCM-00 vs KoAloha KCM-10 finish

jjdejd

Reaction score
Question for KoAloha owners. I have a Kanile'a Tenor high gloss finish and can't say enough about the quality of the instrument. Never been a fan of satin finishes, because I think they look too flat and a little dull. However, I've been researching the KoAloha KCM-00 and it seems from many of the close up photos that the gloss finish almost looks like it is brushed on with some "orange peel" look?? I then looked at the satin and it seems to have a brighter shine than most satin finishes. Can anyone set me straight on the quality of these two finishes. I don't have any shops within a reasonable distance to see one in person. Thanks.

I think what you are seeing on the Koaloha is the open-pore type of finish some Hawaiian makers use. They don't use a filler. My Koalohas and Kamakas have been done this way.

The open pores will be more obvious on a gloss finish. Although I wouldn't do this to a K brand, it is possible to rub out a gloss finish to cut the gloss. You can also buff up a satin finish to some degree.

The Koaloha's gloss finish is open pore [unlike Kanilea] but still quite shiny. Their satin [kcm -10] is flat,little to no shine. Kanilea's super gloss finish really shows off their nice koa , while Koaloha tends to use straighter grained wood[lately anyway] with dark or blonde streaks. I'm fortunate to have all 3, and I like them all. They all have advantages. The KCM-10 is a little sound monster btw.

Based on my experience with my KoAlana (KoAloaha's import brand) the satin finish will polish where you strum and where you cradle you 'ukulele. Gives it a nice "lived in" look; shows you love and play your 'uke. The open pore finish on my KoAloha is clean and hard. It does show the pores of the wood.

Ya pays yer money an ya takes yer chances.

Top Bottom