Using a mixer in a home studio environment

flyingace

Reaction score
I was in need of a small mixer for my home studio since getting a third keyboard and found a used Berhinger 1604 (4 mono 8 stereo) mixer for a good deal, practically mint new!

It's a bit overkill for my needs but it led me to ask... how can I use it?

I know I want to get all the keyboards into a more manageable mix to plug into my monitor speakers and headphone amp (4 way) as well as connect to my audio interface that is also an audio recorder. I'd also like to make it easier for my 15 yr old daughter to play the keyboards thru the monitors without having to turn on my interface/recorder.

So that's a simple in/out, right?

Here is the equipment I'm working with:
M-Audio Bx5a Monitors
Samson S-Amp headphone amp
Korg SV-1
Korg KingKorg
Korg Krome
Zoom R24 (8 input digital recorder and USB audio interface)
Multiple mics for recording acoustic instruments, etc.

Here is how my set up is now:
I have all three keyboards connected in stereo to the 8-input Zoom Recorder that is connected to my Monitors and Headphone amp.
In order to play thru, input gain has to be set on each channel, output gain set on each set of sliders, record button has be to set on in each channel for each keyboard (total of 6 inputs). That only leaves 1 hi-z and one regular input left on the Zoom R24.

So Mixing the keys is a good idea to free up inputs on the recorder. Any other ideas on how I can set this up to achieve both goals: 1. easy for kid to play thru monitors 2. easy for me to set up to record with extra channels of input to spare?

Ugh. Sorry, I know there are a ton of ways this could go... just maybe one of you has been through this "growing pain" and can help a little.

THANKS!!

One solution to keep things simple is send outputs from both the Zoom and mixer to a switch like the picture

Attachments

• Mixer-Zoom.jpg
    Mixer-Zoom.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 18
It looks to me like you could send stereo pairs from the tape outs, control room output and main outs, to your monitors. headphone amp and and your Zoom without a switch. The headphone output is also available.

You also have a pair of mono aux outs.

Have you downloaded the manual? I found it on google.

Last edited:
Thanks, you're right, I didn't realize it but it does have "Tape Outs". My question is though, are those RCA outputs "good enough" output to record the keyboards with or would it be better to have the main XLR outs going to the Zoom for recording?

There's no difference in the "fidelity," the frequency response or signal to noise, if that's what you're asking.
They're designed to interface to a hi-fi stereo recorder, which is what your Zoom is.

The RCA jacks are merely a convenience, since in ancient antiquity [my era], that's how all consumer audio devices were connected.
Saves buying more patch cables and adapters, but the road you're going down, you can never have enough of those. :D

Top Bottom