UAS - collectors or players?

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have read signatures, with envy, by many members of this forum when looking at the Marketplace and noted the incredible variety and number of ukuleles that some members own. Many members appear to own a good number of very desirable ukes from soprano to baritone.

My collection is one Lanikai concert ukulele and a Gold Tone concert banjolele which I am likely to part with soon. I will likely acquire a Pono concert this month. My thinking is that during my 2 hours of ukulele use per day, I really only need one or perhaps two ukuleles tops. I also play with a group of ukesters each week on Sunday afternoon.

With that said I pondered whether those with many ukuleles were "collectors" or "players" ?

It would be interesting to hear from those with multiple ukes as to why they have so many and how you make the best use of all those ukukeles.

Regards,
NOTLguy

The thing is, they all sound different and feel different. Different builds, sizes, strings, tunings.... I think most people with a lot of ukes play them all.

The thing is, they all sound different and feel different. Different builds, sizes, strings, tunings.... I think most people with a lot of ukes play them all.

Most people in the marketplace say "I don't get to play this because of my other ukes" or something along those lines when selling.

Interesting question, I've also often wondered about the motivation behind acquiring numerous ukes (especially when some or all go unplayed).

I only own three ukes myself and consider myself a player and definitely NOT a collector - in fact, the only reason I own "so many" is that each serves a specific purpose (custom 19-fret soprano for lead/solo playing, factory pineapple soprano for uke group strumming, and concert uke for low G arrangements). Until I started playing some arrangements that required more frets than the standard soprano uke, I got by just fine with only the latter two ukes; if it came down to it, I could now get by just fine with the custom and the low G.

When I've asked people I know who own larger numbers of ukes why they "need" so many, they usually justify this the exact same way I just did: that each has its own purpose. Different tonewoods, different sounds for different styles of music, etc.

I used to list mine in my sig, but... I dunno, it started to sort of remind me of the uke equivalent of wearing designer clothes or driving a fancy car or any other status-seeking behavior, and as that was definitely not my intention, I decided that how many and what kind of ukes I play really wasn't relevant to my identity on this forum. I'll mention what they are if the context warrants it, but no need to broadcast "how cool I am" because of the kinds of ukes I play :)

Interesting question, I've also often wondered about the motivation behind acquiring numerous ukes (especially when some or all go unplayed).

I only own three ukes myself and consider myself a player and definitely NOT a collector - in fact, the only reason I own "so many" is that each serves a specific purpose (custom 19-fret soprano for lead/solo playing, factory pineapple soprano for uke group strumming, and concert uke for low G arrangements). Until I started playing some arrangements that required more frets than the standard soprano uke, I got by just fine with only the latter two ukes; if it came down to it, I could now get by just fine with the custom and the low G.

When I've asked people I know who own larger numbers of ukes why they "need" so many, they usually justify this the exact same way I just did: that each has its own purpose. Different tonewoods, different sounds for different styles of music, etc.

I used to list mine in my sig, but... I dunno, it started to sort of remind me of the uke equivalent of wearing designer clothes or driving a fancy car or any other status-seeking behavior, and as that was definitely not my intention, I decided that how many and what kind of ukes I play really wasn't relevant to my identity on this forum. I'll mention what they are if the context warrants it, but no need to broadcast "how cool I am" because of the kinds of ukes I play :)

I agree with the views expressed in this post. I have a lot more ukuleles, but I acquired each one with an idea of the purpose it would serve. The analogy I use is shoes; the shoes I wear for my job serve the purpose of covering my feet, but I wouldn't wear them to go running or cycling, and I wouldn't wear them with a tuxedo.

Because some of the ukuleles I've acquired are, arguably, upgrades of others, I find that I now have some ukuleles I don't play so much because one or more other ukuleles performs the functions it would otherwise perform, so I've been thinking about selling the ones I don't play. Probably the only ukuleles I have just to own them are an older Kamaka soprano and some Makala Dolphins and Sharks in various colors.

Interesting question, I am both a player and collector.
I play everyday and usually rotate through the ukuleles.
I have ukes for dress and those for just carrying anywhere.
High and Low G and C & G tuning.
I have several 1920 something Gibsons, they get played, but definitely were bought for the collection.
My regular players are a DaSilva (JH model), Mya-Moe resonator, Mya-Moe 6 string, Vento and my KoAloha super concert.
There is a ukulele and/or guitar in almost every room of the house ready to pick up and play.

It took me awhile to figure out what I sizes and styles I like. I also have guitars of various configurations. I wouldn't call myself a collector but I do like having a choice of instruments to play. I'm sitting in my office right now where I have a dreadnaught size guitar, a cornet, an 8 string tenor uke and a soprano ukulele. Each sounds different.

I got pretty bad with purchasing as you can see. Haha. I was really addicted up until around this time last year. I guess I'd consider myself more of a player even though I stink. Haven't purchased one since last April, which for me is practically a miracle. I wish I had explored more of a variation in different woods overall, but I have owned different stuff that I eventually sold off because I prefer the koa and mahogany ukes. Deacquision phase at present finally. I actually didn't have a signature until recently but the main reason I made one was in case anyone ever had a question about any of the ukes I own, because I think the root of my over buying was mostly on account of there just aren't any stores to try out the higher end (or at least not lower end) stuff for hundreds of miles of where I live. So, basically, I'm a perfect example of someone who really, really foolishly overdid it, but I'm here to help with opinions/recommendations. Lol.

For me it's both.

As a player I have at least one uke for every purpose. Ukulese are musical instruments. Musical instruments are the tools that musicians use to make their music. A chef can use just one good knife. But most chefs have a small collection of very good knives.

At the very least it helps to have low and high g ukes, two or three sizes, and perhaps a banjo, resonator, solid body electric, etc. Sure, its possible to get by with just one uke. Heck, Jake Shimabukuru travels with a single Kamaka tenor. His philosophy is like a concert violinist; he wants the uke to be an integral part of his being.

As a uke collector my collection is moderate by the standards of more serious collectors. But it gives me pleasure.

I'm a little troubled by this too. There are 10 in my house with one being my wife's baby. Definitely have an embarrassment of riches, although my 'high-ends' are Mainlands (and they are high-end, cherished instruments in my world) but I sometimes wonder if it would be more advantageous to have bought just one ukulele and devoted myself to that fretboard and scale. But dang, as others have said, so many flavors and so many different sounds and feels. I like them all. Not a collector (but maybe a wee bit of a hoarder?).
My instruments, most of them, hang about a foot and a half in front of my nose and just above eye-level. I get the itch and reach for an uke and often don't know which will be in my hands until I pull one of them down. So they all get played, but none of them as much as I'd like and as much as I think would benefit my progress. But I ain't giving them up! Cold dead fingers and all.

My 7th gifted ukulele should arrive to a musician friend tomorrow via FEDEX, an unexpected surprise. Doing that gives me almost as much pleasure as opening a delivered oblong box here at the hoarder house.

>>>There is a ukulele and/or guitar in almost every room of the house ready to pick up and play.<<<

That's my situation, too. I have two cheap sopranos and a cheap banjo uke and I'd love a few more just to have one at my fingertips any time I get the urge to play. Ideally, I'd like a $25 plastic one for work and a pocket uke for my car, so I can whip it out at traffic lights.

I'm sure others have other reasons for collecting, but for me, the uke is so freakin' addictive, that I just want one everywhere I am, regardless of its quality.

That last line made me smile. I have yet to meet the person who thinks I'm "cool" because I collect ukuleles! :)

Pretty much the same question that can asked about mandolin and guitar players. My guess is that relatively few folks who own multiple ukes are not players. But then, what does it take to be classified as a uke player? Strumming three or four chords or finger picking complex chord melodies?

I think it might be a distinction without meaning. Pleasure from playing an instrument can be attained at most any level of proficiency and, in that regard, only people who buy instruments and simply do not play them should be considered just collectors. Everybody else who buys more ukes than they can play at one time might be anything from a closet colletor to a full blown, "Oh! I gotta have that one!" kind of accumulator.

Maybe the common thread here is the fact that many if not most guitars, mandolins and ukes are fashioned and finished as desirable pieces of wood construction. In addition to sounding wonderful in the right hands, they simply look like works of art. And, art is often collected.

To add to my earlier post...

I'm a good player, not a great one. I don't think a "better" uke will make me play any better, so I don't want to hog up any of the good ukes and keep a great one from getting into the hands of someone who might really play the heck out of it. That'd just be selfish.

I think most of us are in search of "the one". In the initial phase, we acquire multiple ukes to find the size, sound, feel we like the best. In the process I think most players find what they like and focus on those sizes, brands, etc. I was lucky. I started with an inexpensive Maholo. After a couple months, I saw an incredible deal on a handmade Uke ($350) and bought it. That was in August of last year. I play it every day and I am thankful for my good fortune. I am currently having the builder make my sons and I a set of triplet sopranos from from cherry and Sitka spruce I have had for 8 years planning to have a 00 guitar made from. I will soon have two Three Cedar sopranos made by Ben Cram and one for each of my boys. The only other Uke I see myself buying is a Martin OXK for camping and fishing trips due to the durability. Indiana heat and humidity can be brutal! To each their own. 20 ukes or one - this little instrument is the best therapy I have ever found!

That last line made me smile. I have yet to meet the person who thinks I'm "cool" because I collect ukuleles! :)

Ain't that the truth!

I enjoy discovering the subtle and not so subtle differences in ukes. No 2 ukes sound the same to me. I play all my ukes. Maybe some would say I'm a collector too, but I don't think that I am. I've parted with a good many wonderful ukes.

Aside from women, ukuleles are the prettiest and sweetest sounding things on the planet. I love to experience new builders and experiment with different woods as a player, but I never have more than 1/2 a dozen or so in my possession at any one time, so certainly not a collector. I buy, try then pass them along if I don't connect with them.

I think you're cool because you collect ukuleles. But we've never met, so you're still good.

Top Bottom