used Flea question

nyal

Reaction score
i've just started searching for our first ukulele (thanks for all the helpful advice out there!) and came across a reasonable deal on a used Flea on CL. Not as local as i had hoped, so i'd need to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped. from everything i've read, they are pretty bombproof so i suspect this would be no problem. my question is, would you recommend it? it seems like a reasonably safe bet, but what do i know? my options locally (as in, go and try it) are pretty limited so this might be a good way to get a well respected instrument at a fraction of the cost. oh, i have looked at the ukulele site and found some options there, but wondering if the hybrid construction of the flea (vs all wood) is the way to go, considering this will be in the hands of a 6 yr old?
thanks for your thoughts!

Not sure I've ever heard a negative comment about Fleas and Flukes.

i've just started searching for our first ukulele (thanks for all the helpful advice out there!) and came across a reasonable deal on a used Flea on CL. Not as local as i had hoped, so i'd need to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped.

What part of NY are you in? City, Island. or upstate?

Magic Fluke., who make the Flea and Fluke, is in Sheffield, MA, near Great Barrington - not too far from the mid-Hudson valley.

-Kurt​

Fleas are pretty bombproof, but one thing to consider is if they have had wound strings put on the plastic fingerboard. That in theory (I haven't tried it) will be hard on the plastic frets.

My 8 yr old has a flea, and I'm going to be getting fleas for my twins on their 6th birthday, I think they're great for kids. Also, you can buy seconds from the factory - I've gotten a flea and firefly that way and both were great instruments.

The plastic fretboards do degrade over time. After 2o months of playing my Fluke every day, there are noticible grooves in the frets, thats with using fluoro strings. Still plays well though.

Yes, wound strings are not recommended. As they build them right there, I am sure they could rebuild one of their Flukes or Fleas with a new fretboard...I read that somewhere too!

Last edited:
Owned a Flea and Fluke for years - they are indeed pretty much bombproof when it comes to posting them. One of the ukes I would worry about least in that regard. your real issues is buying unseen via CL with no protection.

Second the views above on the plastic fretboards - they do wear, and both of mine have flat spots now. They are not yet affecting play, but the good news is you can get replacement fingerboards.

What part of NY are you in? City, Island. or upstate?

Magic Fluke., who make the Flea and Fluke, is in Sheffield, MA, near Great Barrington - not too far from the mid-Hudson valley.

-Kurt​

sounds like i've got a nice day trip coming up! thanks for the tip....

Personally I wouldn't buy an item off CL sight unseen and then have to worry about sending money and having it shipped. You really don't have anyway to protect yourself.

is there an appropriate place to post the info about the listing so someone closer can have a go? don't want to step on the feet of any members who are selling but it seems like something folks here would be interested in...

just a quick note to anyone who has been waiting for me to post that link.....
apologies for the delay - i've been waiting to hear whether it was still available. sadly it's not.
i'm hoping someone here managed to track it down and snatch it....

Top Bottom