Ways of starting a song...

hucklelele

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this lately and hoping to maybe kick start a few songs- if I can find the time and focus.

I'm a writer of words otherwise- so I've always been focused on the written word, and it's almost a hinderance otherwise, because I have this hangup about the song saying something, and having some message- while not many really do I started noticing.

And my playing was lacking for so long, and maybe starting to gel more.

anyway I'm wondering now about ideas to start writing songs.
The first I've always thought about is to start with lyrics and try to add words.

The second would be to start with some musical riffs or phrases at least, and then add lyrics- or NOT maybe! Maybe the MUSIC is enough.

I;ve got a 4 track tascam and most people have a computer they can record with- so now I'm thinking maybe I can just start recording more things as I practice and develope songs from there-

I guess I could have several songs on the back burners even and go back occassionally to refine them- but I'll need to be better organized- my life is a bit "spotty"these days and rather unfocused.

Anyway, does anybody have any other ideas for getting a jumpstart on songwriting?

I know that when I wrote a volume of poetry back in the '80's I had to get a jumpstart and gather momentum- until I was writing stuff everyday. when I look back at them, most of the stuff isn't spectacular all the time- but maybe 10 or 15 percent are gems.

What is your approach?

I’ve written about 25 songs, and I think the process is unique each time. Some songs seem to write themselves practically overnight, while others simmer for weeks and even months. I usually start with an idea of what the song is about, maybe I’ll have a few catchy phrases or rhymes, but I don’t really start writing the lyrics until I’ve worked out a chord progression and tune to go with it.

I wrote many songs in the 90's and only just now getting my feet wet again with this. For me (and only my process), I like to find a chord progression first, then I make up nonsense words as I discover the melody. Once the melody is nailed down, I make lyrics to fit it. Now, sometimes during the melody creation, I find that my voice wants to naturally go somewhere other than what my chords say. I then have to decide if I want to alter the chords to fit that or if I want to save that vocal lick for some other project.

But everyone approaches music differently, of course. For me, I rarely hear words when I listen to music. The voice just blends in with everything else. I feel chord progression way more than anything else. If that moves me, I like the music.

Top Bottom