Ukuleles in the National News

bariukish

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
On page 4A in the 2/23/14 edition of USA Today newspaper there is a very interesting story from Richmond, Va about a local music teachers success with his ukulele program. One statistic noted that uke retail sales have jumped from $33 million in 2009 to $77 million in 2012. So much for the idea that sales are dwindling. It also noted that Kala has donated 1,200 instruments to a San Diego school music program. Way to go, Kala!

Maybe one of you techies can figure a way to post the article here so that everyone can enjoy it. The Ukulele is alive and well.

I see that the "Ask Amy" column in today's paper had this observation, in part ".... I know you will anyway because love .... is an irrational force making humans do all sorts of strange and wonderful things like write poetry and take up the ukulele. "

Thanks for the link mds, just sent it to my uke class

So cool. Wish they had interviewed our music teacher. We also traded recorders for ukes :) We got a grant 2years ago for 25 ukes for the classroom and we have an after school program for kids on Thursdays that I help teach. We're in Virginia too but on the north end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom