KoAloha design question

jjdejd

Reaction score
I've been researching KoAloha ukes on several sites. Seems the bridge is different on several links. Some bridges have KoAloha carved into the bridge, some have a smooth rosewood type and their site has a totally different design. It looks like a piece of koa wood (not very attractive). Can anybody shed some light on these different designs? I assume there was a design change?

The design with KoAloha carved into the bridge is the current design. I believe they started doing that about two or three years ago.

I've been researching KoAloha ukes on several sites. Seems the bridge is different on several links. Some bridges have KoAloha carved into the bridge, some have a smooth rosewood type and their site has a totally different design. It looks like a piece of koa wood (not very attractive). Can anybody shed some light on these different designs? I assume there was a design change?

Koaloha has gone through many bridge designs. There is the bow tie, the crown, the pain looking, the koaloha etched ones. My all koa pikake (It was a second, but it has a koa fretboard) is even different.

pictures help a lot. I don't remember if the crown bridge or the bow tie came out first. I do know that the crown bridge was no longer made b/c Papa felt that the bridge was not strong enough.

Koaloha has gone through many bridge designs. There is the bow tie, the crown, the pain looking, the koaloha etched ones. My all koa pikake (It was a second, but it has a koa fretboard) is even different.

pictures help a lot. I don't remember if the crown bridge or the bow tie came out first. I do know that the crown bridge was no longer made b/c Papa felt that the bridge was not strong enough.

The crown bridge was before the bowtie one.

Unfortunately, while sometimes it was susceptible to lifting, it also was very time consuming and difficult for them to make. Still, it remains my favorite style bridge from them -- it is a nice complement to the headstock styling. The current style reminds me of the bridge on a Kamaka. Not that it is a bad thing -- those are very classic and clean looking, just I like it when they are different from other brands (like the pin bridge on the Kanileas, or the bowtie or crown on the KoAloha).

Think I found the answer to my post. Seems the soprano and concert uke's have the name in the bridge and the tenors have a smooth look. Maybe it has to do with tension?
The crown bridge was before the bowtie one.

Unfortunately, while sometimes it was susceptible to lifting, it also was very time consuming and difficult for them to make. Still, it remains my favorite style bridge from them -- it is a nice complement to the headstock styling. The current style reminds me of the bridge on a Kamaka. Not that it is a bad thing -- those are very classic and clean looking, just I like it when they are different from other brands (like the pin bridge on the Kanileas, or the bowtie or crown on the KoAloha).

I never cared for the look of the bridge with the "carved" name thinking it was a bit much, but now that I have one I think it looks good!

on my older (2006) pre-carved-name concert, the strip south of the bridge where the letters would be conceals two screws that hold the bridge on. Who knew?

Top Bottom