1st annual ukulele fest in Eureka Springs, Arkansas...who shoud we try to get?

thesillydave

Reaction score
howdy y'all! our city is planning on hosting a ukulele fest in mid October, during our annual folk festival (the longest running festival west of the Mississippi) in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. we have several different music festivals during the year. the organizers have asked me whom i think they should contact. (because i'm like a uke god here! ha! ha! i'm just the only person who actually plays ukulele! )
i've thought of james hill, ken middleton, gus & fin, eugene ukulele, uncle elvis, ukester brown, gerald ross, julia nunes, john bianchi, or even the ukulele orchestra of great britain...as if!!
i have no idea who would be available or what the budget for the festival is...just fishing for ideas! thanks everyone!

You could ask Paul Hemming, Craig Chee & Sarah Maisel, and Heidi Swedberg. They all seem to be making the festival rounds recently. Good luck!

Here are some from the last two Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaways:
Jim and Liz Beloff
Uncle Zac
Ralph Shaw
Greg Hawkes
Manitoba Hal
Aaron Keim
Big Jim Allen
Uncle Elvis
Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel
Jim D'Ville
Steve Boisen (U-bass)
Lil Rev

I feel they all were great

You will save some money if you go for someone relatively close to the venue. Pops Bayless and Debbie Porter are in Austin. I think Mark Gutierrez and his group are in Omaha. Noel and Kate are in Dallas. Jim D'Ville is living out of a trailer and might make your date. Of course, some local guitar folks could address music theory, rhythm and general string instrument stuff saving some money. Got more funds? Then the really big names on the circuit may have your date open.

did it really take until this post for someone to say Aldrine Guerrero?

You haven't said whether you're looking for primarily stage performers or workshop leaders or both...

Several great ones have been mentioned. A couple that haven't yet been mentioned:
The Flea Bitten Dawgs are not far away from you and they're a lot of fun.
Li'l Rev gives great workshops.

October, eh? Hmmm...that would give me a really good excuse to ride the motorcycle up through the fall foliage...

Edit: Oh, sorry Phil, just reread your post and noticed you had listed Lil Rev.

Another Edit: BTW Dave I'd recommend that you contact your "A listers" as soon as you have details like budget, etc. A lot of these performers live pretty close to the edge and like to schedule as far out in advance as possible so they can attempt to appear at other nearby venues before and after.

Also, once you firm up the date there is an organization you should contact. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of it. Anyway, I know there is an organization that lists fairs, festivals, etc., and is a resource for traveling acts and vendors of all types. I used to work for a guy who ran some entertainment simulators and such on the fair circuit and that group was his bread and butter (this was before the internet really took off).

YAN: I bet the organizers of your folk festival will know of the group I'm talking about - they're probably already associated with it.

John

Last edited:
Great to see that there is some uke activity in the northwest Ar region. We live in Fayetteville and for an area with that large of a population not to have at least one club is amazing. I talked to a couple of music teachers and the local Guitar Ctr. and they said there was no interest. Anyway, keep us posted on the festival. We'll certainly attend. With a little promotion it could get to be larger than the banjo festival.

You haven't said whether you're looking for primarily stage performers or workshop leaders or both...

Several great ones have been mentioned. A couple that haven't yet been mentioned:
The Flea Bitten Dawgs are not far away from you and they're a lot of fun.
Li'l Rev gives great workshops.

October, eh? Hmmm...that would give me a really good excuse to ride the motorcycle up through the fall foliage...

Edit: Oh, sorry Phil, just reread your post and noticed you had listed Lil Rev.

Another Edit: BTW Dave I'd recommend that you contact your "A listers" as soon as you have details like budget, etc. A lot of these performers live pretty close to the edge and like to schedule as far out in advance as possible so they can attempt to appear at other nearby venues before and after.

Also, once you firm up the date there is an organization you should contact. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of it. Anyway, I know there is an organization that lists fairs, festivals, etc., and is a resource for traveling acts and vendors of all types. I used to work for a guy who ran some entertainment simulators and such on the fair circuit and that group was his bread and butter (this was before the internet really took off).

YAN: I bet the organizers of your folk festival will know of the group I'm talking about - they're probably already associated with it.

John

Are you thinking of the Folk Alliance? Office is in Kansas City now.

Are you thinking of the Folk Alliance? Office is in Kansas City now.

No...that looks like a good outfit but the one I was thinking of was more directed toward traveling vendors of all stripes, not such a heavy emphasis on music and dance. I've done a quick google search and nothing popped out at me which isn't surprising since my job was to see that the equipment worked not find venues for it. :)

John

Julia Nunes didn't get good reviews from the Tampa fest.

She's one that has always puzzled me - I never figured out how she got such a large YouTube following. Cute and perky but at the risk of being rude I've never been that impressed with any of her vids...pretty basic playing and very amateur vocals...I always thought maybe she was a lot better in person...I guess maybe not... :)

John

You might want to contact Jerry Hoffman at Boat Paddle Ukuleles. They organize the Mightymo Uke Festival in east central Mo. This July is their 4th annual festival. Jerry is a great guy and I'm sure he could would give you the benefit of his experience. It's a great spot for a long weekend vacation. Maybe I'll see you there in July.

I've seen Ralph Shaw's performance and it's a lot of fun.

The Flea Bitten Dawgs, Seeso and Lil'Rev are very good affordable regional choices.
Ralph Shaw is a great performer that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Julia Nunes didn't get good reviews from the Tampa fest.

I didn't realize Seeso was doing the festival circuit - I've seen him at UWC every year but I thought he was one of us mortals...just much more talented! Yeah, Seeso, Flea Bitten Dawgs, and Uncle E - you've got yourself a show right there! Course Uncle E might have to flap his arms really hard to make the trip...

John

I don't think I've seen Taimane Gardner listed yet. Dave, if you can pull that off I guarantee at least one attendee at your festival even if I have to walk to get there... :)

John

An ukulele festival in E. Springs! How fun and perfect. Do the roadside stands now sell cedar ukuleles filled with honey-comb?

I've heard many names mentioned in this thread who'd I like to see. Far-fetched, but Gus & Fin would sure set the crowd on fire. Wish I still lived a hop, skip and a jump from ya'll. I'd sure be there. Good luck!

Oh my gosh...there are lots of people....
Danielle Ate The Sandwich is terrific. She must have a workshop that she does.

Top Bottom