asking for seasonista's input...

thesillydave

Reaction score
howdy y'all! our city is planning on hosting a ukulele fest in mid October, during our annual folk festival (the longest running festival west of the Mississippi) in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. we have several different music festivals during the year. the organizers have asked me whom i think they should contact. (because i'm like a uke god here! ha! ha! i'm just the only person who actually plays ukulele! )
i've thought of james hill, ken middleton, gus & fin, eugene ukulele, uncle elvis, ukester brown, gerald ross, julia nunes, john bianchi, or even the ukulele orchestra of great britain...as if!!
i have no idea who would be available or what the budget for the festival is...just fishing for ideas! thanks everyone!

the pUKEs! Hmmm, actually on reflection, we'd probably get chased out of town :eek:
JULY
Continuing our ukulele world takeover we headed to Deer Shed festival near Hull. We know it’s a family friendly festival. What we don’t know is that they’ve stuck us in the kids’ tent, between the magician and the story teller. We play to around 500 under-10s and their parents. We are not fully prepared for this type of gig. The youngsters love it. They storm the stage and soon we’re surrounded by hordes of over-excited small people. Meanwhile, the management are having a health and safety meltdown from the side of the stage, waving clipboards and trying to get them off. There is an exodus during Sex and Violence when parents who don’t see the funny side drag their kids out of the tent. Ooooops.

[video=youtube;t596MzVAjxk]http://thepukes.co.uk/blog[/video]

What about Mantoba Hal. Just watch the interview over on links and vids here. he's a blues guy.

The starting point has got to be to find out what the budget is first then cut your coat according to your cloth.

Stu Fuchs is awesome.

And, not like there's a snowball's chance, but if the festival wants to pay my airfare and hotel, I'll come. (g)

-Kurt​

What about Mantoba Hal. Just watch the interview over on links and vids here. he's a blues guy.

Manitoba Hal was at the Grand Northern Uke Fest here in the UK last October. He was the main act on Saturday evening - great performance. I went to a blues workshop he ran - very useful in spite of a crap room. Great guy, very approachable.

Lil Rev would do it, I bet, but he runs the Milwaukee Uke Fest, also in October, so it would likely be a conflict for him. Danielle Ate The Sandwich is awesome. Our very own Seeso is also a great teacher and entertainer.

Best thing at the Barcelona Uke festival last year was two guys from Liverpool:
Ukulele Uff & LonesomeDave

Quite a few videos on YouTube for this pair. Mix of standards, blues and Django style Jazz. Superb performers.

They're back again this year it seems! Hooray!

Cheers,

Berni

PS Barcelona Ukulele Festival this year Friday 8th and Saturday 9th March!

The starting point has got to be to find out what the budget is first then cut your coat according to your cloth.
Absolutely! You might get lucky and find someone who'd be in that neck of the woods without incurring extra expense, but travel expenses will have to be figured in.

james hill is from Canada, ken middleton the U.K., eugene ukulele downunder, uncle elvis Bermuda (I think), the ukulele orchestra of great britain (a whole group who'd need plane tickets and hotels).

Is it an all Ukulele festival? The reason I ask is because me and dad ran a fiddle festival for years here (thank god it has moved to new hands...). The purpose of our festival was to give Old Time Fiddlers a competitive forum, but also to generate funding for the Cloverdale Historical (hysterical) Society. When we got acts that the fiddlers wanted, tumbleweeds. Even the fiddlers did not watch them (because it is also a social event for them...I say "them" because they are a society all to themselves). When we got groups with a fiddler in them, the public was engaged and funding was a sure thing.
So you have to consider the entertainment value of the performer in regards to what the performance is meant to generate, as well as budget. I for one would sit and watch every performer mentioned thus far, but I am a select audience. My friends and family would be gone during a solo Ukulele act, unless it was so kitsch they could not help themselves.

Taking into consideration what TCK is saying I love the Leftover Cuties who are involved in the Reno uke festival in April. Take a look at this festival info and it may spur on some ideas. Reno Festival. Also you may consider contacting them for ideas, cost, etc.

Last edited:
I'd be delighted to talk about the fest. Email me at narcisolobo (at) gmail (dot) com.

Stu Fuchs and Lil' Rev were great at the Rockville Ukulele Summit! Also Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer.

cua94

Top Bottom