Favourite brand of ukulele?

Rolfie

Reaction score
Im sure this has come up a few times but what is everyones favourite brand?

Mine has to be Kala,
1: because theyre great!
2: because I won one!
3: theyre affordable
4: fantastic quality

I do want to save for a kanile'a though!

Mine is KoAloha.

Not just because of their great quality and unmatched customer service, but because they are such wonderful, loving people.

Mine is KoAloha.

Not just because of their great quality and unmatched customer service, but because they are such wonderful, loving people.

+++++ absolutely wonderful people. The quality is very high, too.

Well...sort of a hard question to answer:

If you judge by the volume of ukes I currently own, I'd have to say Mainland. Not only do I own several of them, one of my top two ukes that I will probably never part with is a Mainland mahogany soprano.

If you judge by the volume of high-end ukes that I own or have owned, KoAloha is the clear winner (and my PS is the other uke I will probably never part with).

If you judge by the volume of ukes I would own if I could afford them and had the patience to get on a waiting list, Moore Bettah.

John

I don't currently have one, but I have a Kanilea bias, with a few of the newer Ko'olau's that HMS raved about right up there with them.

Kamaka. Solid Koa, built light yet strong, great sound, heritage, nice appearance without the bling. I own 4 Kamaka ukes and they all feel good in my hands.

Moore Bettah because they are lovely to look at and sound even better. But since I don't have one, I would have to choose runner up KoAloha from the ukes I own. I like the sound, the volume, and the customer service/warranty.

To OP did you mean a production uke Brand ?

I don't think of custom ukes as 'Brands'.

This is strictly by count, I have 3 Lanikai ukes out of 8, but the one I like the sound and feel of the most is a Chinese Hanknn 2 hole, and a very close second is an Oscar Schmidt spalted maple. Not that I know much about the quality of ukes, I buy for configuration and price, all great deals under $200 US, tenor cutaway with electronics.

u6Hanknn 2 hole side brn.jpg

u4OscarSchmidt2.jpg

pono. made in a factory where the workers are compensated, and a good brand if you like mahogany. if i had a koa sound concept koaloha would be just fine.

Even though I don't have one, Kanile'a. My dream Uke.

pono. made in a factory where the workers are compensated, ...

Just curious how you know this? I'm not challenging the statement, but wondering what evidence there is that the pono factory is different than the others in the far east.

And sorry for the slight thread side track...

Just curious how you know this? I'm not challenging the statement, but wondering what evidence there is that the pono factory is different than the others in the far east.

And sorry for the slight thread side track...

Just give a call to John Kitakis at Ko'olau/Pono in Wahiawa Hawaii...he is the owner of Pono and uses the factory in Java,Indonesia he oversees all the steps in building of the Pono's up to the level of custom Ko'olau's ...he will be glad to talk to you...and give you all the info you want...
but wait until next week...he and the rest of the HMS crew at Namm

Last edited:
Top Bottom