PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this hard case?

moetrout
01-25-2014, 04:19 AM
I like the looks of this case and the price is great. Is there anyone out there that has one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOINYQY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GS8K30W42HGK&coliid=I1GILAGCQTKODY

RonT
01-25-2014, 05:08 AM
I have my Kala Soprano (KA-ASAC-S) in one. Nice case,IMHO. I bought mine from the same place for the same price,IIRC
R

GinnyT11
01-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Ron, did it have a strong chemical smell inside when you got it? Some cases do.

RonT
01-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Nope, just gave it a test sniff to confirm. Since it's open........
R
http://i40.tinypic.com/r2tfvc.jpg

moetrout
01-26-2014, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I just may buy that one.

mikelz777
01-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Here's another nice one to consider.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-concert-ukulele-case

Pippin
01-26-2014, 03:31 AM
It looks very similar to the Oscar Schmidt cases that I often use to protect my ukes.

bborzell
01-26-2014, 05:48 AM
I am inclined to pick a three latch case over one with two latches.

katysax
01-26-2014, 06:11 AM
I have a couple of those Musicians Friend cases and they are quite nice. Good value.

Steveperrywriter
01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Or this one ...

Steve

SonSprinter
01-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Could you determine what size of ukulele it was for?

mketom
01-26-2014, 10:57 AM
For $750 does it come with a nice ukulele?

mikelz777
01-26-2014, 11:15 AM
The latches on the Musician's Friend case I received were different from those pictured in the link. The latches on mine were the loop type where you put the loop over the lid portion of the latch before snapping the clasp down. I was happy for that because they are much more secure than the ones where the clasp just snaps down.

PhilUSAFRet
01-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I just got a soprano size for my Kamaka. Amazing value...I'd buy another in a heartbeat....still need a concert size. 3 Latches nice, but for smaller ukes, may be overkill.

moetrout
01-31-2014, 03:45 AM
Well, I finally ordered one up! It should be here next Friday! Just in time for a business trip I have to take to South Carolina and with this beauty I can take my uke with me! In the back of my mind I kept thinking if I don't get a case and take the uke with me I will end up buying a cheapy uke at GC when I get down there. Anyone else fly with their uke? Anything in particular I should know?

mikelz777
01-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Don't check the uke into baggage. If you can't carry it on with you, don't bring it.

moetrout
01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
No, I wasn't going to check it. I've done a little reading and I don't think it will be a problem to carry it on. Suggestions I found were if there is no overhead compartment to put it in to nicely ask a stewardess if it can be put into the crew closet. It's only a week long trip, but I am still in that romance stage with my uke and I play it every evening, sometimes all evening. I can't see being without it on the trip. Evenings are boring and this would keep me entertained all evening long. Not to mention the solitude will give me private time to try out singing, I am horrible right now. In a weeks time I should be playing a new song with that much time!

moetrout
02-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I got my new case yesterday and WOW! What a beauty! Exactly what I was looking for. I need to take a pic and post it. For 32.99, free shipping. Just in time for my trip. Looks like I will be getting hours of practice everyday next week. Better than watching tv all night in the hotel room.

Doc_J
02-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Or this one ...
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63282
Steve

Nice case ! But that one seems a bit pricey.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/HDMC1-BL/B.htm

mangorockfish
02-08-2014, 03:25 PM
The latches on the Musician's Friend case I received were different from those pictured in the link. The latches on mine were the loop type where you put the loop over the lid portion of the latch before snapping the clasp down. I was happy for that because they are much more secure than the ones where the clasp just snaps down.
I bought one last weekend just like it at a Mom & Pop music store. If anyone is worried about your case coming open, get a dog collar and put around the small part of the case. Also looks cool. Gives it a custom look.

Steveperrywriter
02-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Oh, yeah, pricey.

consitter
02-08-2014, 09:31 PM

When I saw the price, I yelled "Holy sh!t" so loud, I could hear the echo coming back from the hallway outside my open office door!

Steveperrywriter
02-08-2014, 10:06 PM
If you were on the road a lot and playing out, and you had a custom uke, like, say ... Jake? Whose case is, think, a Calton that cost more, certainly you could justify the cost. Or if you just had a one-of-a-kind instrument you wanted protected against, well, hurricanes, earthquakes, and guys with submachine guns ...

Or even if you wanted to evoke a reaction like consitter's:

"Nice case. What did it run you? What!? Holy shit!!"

consitter
02-08-2014, 10:34 PM
If you were on the road a lot and playing out, and you had a custom uke, like, say ... Jake? Whose case is, think, a Calton that cost more, certainly you could justify the cost. Or if you just had a one-of-a-kind instrument you wanted protected against, well, hurricanes, earthquakes, and guys with submachine guns ...

Or even if you wanted to evoke a reaction like consitter's:

"Nice case. What did it run you? What!? Holy shit!!"

I have a one of a kind that is a custom uke like, say....Jake's (worth about 4K). I've traveled the world with it (well back and forth to Hawaii, at least.) My case is an Ameritage that I've bought a case cover for with added backpack straps. You could run over it with a truck, and the instrument would still be protected. I would trust that case to be put in gate checked baggage if I were forced to.

But, my case doesn't evoke that kind of "Holy sheet" factor when the price is looked at. Case for about $275, case cover with backpack straps, $80. It's downfall? Heavier than yours. It and uke weigh about 12 lbs. But the backpack straps help tremendously with that when walking through the airport.

ETA: What I guess I'm saying is: In my opinion, there's a limit to the amount of protection a case can give. The only thing you'll get by the price going higher is lighter weight. And as it get lighter and lighter, to me, the amount of protection starts to get more debatable, and I'm not so sure I would trust it...Calton, yes, they have been proven over years of service. I considered getting one, but after many repeated and failed attempts to order one (they wouldn't answer either emails or phone calls) and no dealers seem to be interested in ordering a single tenor case, I went with Ameritage.

Steveperrywriter
02-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Cool factor aside, Hoffee cases sure look bulletproof -- there are a couple of videos, here's a link to one. I had to look away a couple of times ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqFje3y2v4&sns=em

consitter
02-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Cool factor aside, Hoffee cases sure look bulletproof -- there are a couple of videos, here's a link to one. I had to look away a couple of times ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqFje3y2v4&sns=em

I can't see the video on my work computer...I'll have to wait until I get home to see it. But I'll tell you the limitations of my Amertage. The only reason I wouldn't throw it off a builing like they do in the Reunion Blues videos? The latches and hinges. I just wouldn't trust them. That's the weak point of the case. Is it designed to be thrown off a building? NO. But it sure is a tough case. Again, with it's cover on it, I would trust it in checked luggage, putting the cover on to protect the outside of the case from getting marred.

consitter
02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Off topic--does your handle mean your name is Steve Perry and you are a writer?

OR

Does it mean you write for Steve Perry the former lead singer of Journey?

Steveperrywriter
02-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Off topic--does your handle mean your name is Steve Perry and you are a writer?

OR

Does it mean you write for Steve Perry the former lead singer of Journey?

The former. I did it that way so folks wouldn't think I was Steve of Journey -- I get that a lot, especially on music sites.

Name is as common as dirt, there are a couple of other writers who share it, including one who was murdered and dismembered a couple years back. That got me some interesting email ...

consitter
02-09-2014, 08:35 PM
The former. I did it that way so folks wouldn't think I was Steve of Journey -- I get that a lot, especially on music sites.

Name is as common as dirt, there are a couple of other writers who share it, including one who was murdered and dismembered a couple years back. That got me some interesting email ...

Heh. I'll bet.

I assume they got you put back together correctly?

Steveperrywriter
02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Heh. I'll bet.

I assume they got you put back together correctly?

I think maybe Igor got the wrong brain ...

consitter
02-10-2014, 09:53 PM
I think maybe Igor got the wrong brain ...

"That's I-gor!!"

Steveperrywriter
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I have it on good authority that I-gor and Frau Blucher (neigh!) had something going on ...

Sorry. The thread rot has set in ...

consitter
02-10-2014, 10:08 PM
I have it on good authority that I-gor and Frau Blucher (neigh!) had something going on ...

Sorry. The thread rot has set in ...
Yes, they did.

So, have you abused your high-dollar case any?

Does it scratch easily?

UkerDanno
02-11-2014, 02:51 AM
Here's another nice one to consider.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-concert-ukulele-case

and if you keep an eye out, they are reduced to $24.99 occasionally, I have a concert and a soprano and they're a very good value.

mikelz777
02-11-2014, 03:05 AM
I didn't quite get that nice of a deal, mine was $27.99 delivered. It is an excellent value even at its regular asking price of $39.99.

moetrout
02-11-2014, 10:16 AM
So I started this post on January 25 asking about this case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOINYQY/...I1GILAGCQTKODY

One of the reasons for buying a hard case was that I wanted to take my uke on business trips. I had to travel to Duncan, SC yesterday. I was a little nervous traveling with the uke. I felt like I was getting a lot of looks, you know like "what's that guy REALLY got inside that case". I also had visions of being bent over and rubbers gloves for a more personal search by the TSA! I was very pleasantly surprised by the TSA. Half of the agents I passed by knew what it was! A couple wanted to talk uke with me, asking questions like what kind do you have and how long have you been playing. Yeah TSA! Just thought I would report back my experience in case anyone else is thinking about it. I spent last night playing everything I know (like all five songs!). I hope to work on something new tonight.

Steveperrywriter
02-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes, they did.

So, have you abused your high-dollar case any?

Does it scratch easily?

No, and yes. The clear-coat over the kevlar is plastic and I suspect will scratch just like the fiberglass ones will. Of course, the purpose of the case is to protect its contents, and as long as it keeps the ook from major damage, I'm good. I bang my ukes around enough so they all get scratches and dings and don't remain pristine for more than a couple weeks, if I'm lucky, they are players and not museum pieces. But I'm thinking it would take a serious act of God to bash the Hoffee hard enough to kill the uke it protects, and probably that would take me out, too ...