Five-string ukes, who makes 'em

OldePhart

Reaction score
So, I was watching some YouTube vids of Taimane and they've got me jonesin' for a five-string (because obviously the only reason my playing doesn't sound like hers is because I need that fifth string :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, I know Ohana makes/made a TK-35G-5, and HMS has a Maui Music 5-string that costs about double what I can spend on an instrument right now. Are there any options in the $800 - $1k range?

I've actually been eyeing my Mainland mango tenor. If I cut a new bone nut, change to string-through-bridge, and switched to UPT tuners I might be able to add a tuner and make it work. It's also already got a MiSi pickup and sound that I love...

John

John, Kanilea has it as an option on their site for an additional $92. I think you may have to inquire with the other builders.

John, Boat Paddle makes five strings and you might be able to get a Kayak model in your price range.

The Ohana 5 string is really nice. I would go for that one first if I were you, before going to the higher price point. If you do find an Ohana 5 string, it might just satisfy your craving, and you would have more money for another uke. If you decided to later go ahead and get a more expensive uke, I bet you could resell the Ohana, because it is such a nice instrument and hard to find.

–Lori

Thanks everybody - I didn't realize that there were so many options. Kanilea might be a good way to go as I love their tenors, anyway. Boat Paddle also an interesting option. That CLark pheasant wood is a real beauty - I followed your thread before without even realizing it was a five string. Tunnel vision, I guess. @Gillian the CR is beautiful but I'd have to sell some stuff before I spent that much...and every time I sell an instrument I end up wishing I hadn't. LOL

Allen McFarlen of Barron River makes em. Recently finished one for Bosko and it sounds crazy good...

Oscar Schmidt makes the Willie K. 5 string acoustic/electric tenor. It sounds good and is pretty nice for a laminate.

This Willie K is the only one I have tried and I loved it.Looks and sounds nice for a laminate.Ebay prices around340.00 compared to 400+ at local music stores.

why not look into the willie k model that oscsr schmidt puts out,on amazon only $350+,great high gloss finish too...

That Barron River does sound sweet - and he plays almost exactly like me, too...oh, wait, that was in my dreams. LOL

I am leaning kind of hard toward Boat Paddle, probably an M model but without bling. A little more than I was looking to spend but not by a lot and it will probably do me good to learn a little patience. :)

John

It is amazing to me that Bosko has those chops with SUCH long fingers. That is one beautiful sounding uke though!

Boat Paddle Kayak is on my list but I always seem to fall in love with something else just before I get there. Cost could be kept under a grand if you don't need the bling.

My other issue is that I don't care for the sound of linear tuning. I've only been playing for a couple of years. Each time I string one up low G it leaves me cold. I don't know if a 5 string octave pair in G would sound good to me. Would it still have the low G grunt I don't like or would the additional high G fill in what I miss when its not there? Nobody I play with has one so the mystery remains.

3+ hours of driving each way for me to get to Jerry's shop. Maybe this spring...

The Ohana 5 string is really nice. I would go for that one first if I were you, before going to the higher price point. If you do find an Ohana 5 string, it might just satisfy your craving, and you would have more money for another uke. If you decided to later go ahead and get a more expensive uke, I bet you could resell the Ohana, because it is such a nice instrument and hard to find.

–Lori
ditto on the Ohana, I have one of the first runs. I would also consider a boat paddle, but since it is not my primary ukulele, the Ohana price point works better for me.

@Pere - I can relate to not caring a lot for low-g tuning. I don't mind linear tunings so much when strumming but they just don't sound right to me when doing finger rolls and such (I know, just the opposite of most folks, who prefer the low-G for picking). I think with a five string you can kind of adjust how much low vs. high g you "grab" - at least when doing rolls and such.

John

Top Bottom