Import and Duties Fees when buying from Taiwan

Msbedard

Reaction score
I've been looking at several Ukes on EBay offered by a Seller whose EBay ID is taisamlu. Under Policies, he states the following:
"International Buyers , Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying."

I'm sure that this is a rather common boilerplate policy statement. Having never purchased from an international Seller on EBay before I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me as to what to expect for additional fees on a $160.00 plus shipping purchase.

Thanks in advance..... Michael

In Australia, where I live, we only start paying import duties, etc when the value of the goods become more than $1000. For goods less than this there are no extra costs imposed.
In your situation - you would be below this threshold. I'm not sure where you live so you would need to check your local customs/tax web page and the information should be on there

AFAIK there are no extra costs when the item plus shipping is less than 200$. And I think you pay 4.6% for musical instruments when you go over 200$.
But hey, I live in Europe, what do I know.

Shipped to U.S. - none

It says where you are right at the top of the page across from your name. It must be late.
When I export PEGHEDS all over the world, there is a space on the form which exempts anything less than $1000 from being taxed.

I've been buying items from a variety of companies in China for the last few months, including ukuleles below, 4, 7 & 8, there is no additional duty/tax/fee to the US.

I've been buying items from a variety of companies in China for the last few months, including ukuleles below, 4, 7 & 8, there is no additional duty/tax/fee to the US.

Until now. US Customs heavily monitors this forum.

My country charges 21% taxes plus a fee. Regardless of the price...
Last week two art prints worth $50,-, additional costs: $26,-. This is absurd!
Even the "gift" status makes no difference whatsoever...

I used to make small garden sculptures and sell them at art shows. Every now and then someone from Canada would order one. I had to ship it as a gift with a hand written label otherwise they would be taxed with import duties and the customer would refuse it. And that was on a 40 dollar object.

Even without duties, you may be charged a brokerage fee by the shipping company. This is not a tax or a duty, but a fee that the shipping company charges to get the package through customs. I have never figured out exactly how this fee is calculated; I've seen it be as little as a few dollars to as much as $70-80 and the value of the item being shipped does not seem to enter into the calculation. I also find it very inconsistent; sometimes I get charged, sometimes I don't.

Top Bottom