Shubb L9 Review

Dobrodoc

Reaction score
image.jpgI just received a new Shubb Lite uke capo. These were designed specifically to fit most ukes except for baritones.
My thoughts are the following. Nice construction, feels solidly built despite fairly light weight. It doesn't weigh the neck down the way a G7 or kyser may. However, I discovered it doesn't fit my Martin ukes very well at all. I have a 1920's soprano and a 2013 tenor Koa. They have very slim necks so the capo could not be tightened enough to effectively clamp the strings at the second fret. Even with maximum tightening of the thumb screw, it did not clamp the strings without a buzz or dead strings! So I took some surgical tubing and made a cover for the rubber grip that touches down on the strings which essentially gives you more diameter to the top bar. I then could clamp the capo on either uke making it snug enough to be effective. The other ukes I have, mostly lanikai , have a slightly thicker neck so it wasn't a problem . Anyone else notice this to be a problem? The capo was not cheap, about 20 dollars, so I am a bit disappointed that it didn't fit my higher end ukes without some jerry rigging.

Last edited:
I have this capo and it works great on my Ohana tenor which has a fairly thin neck and Bruko baritone which is a much thicker neck. Try experimenting with placement of the capo closer to the fret and/or placement of the neck further "into" the capo, if that makes sense.

I have this capo and it works great on my Ohana tenor which has a fairly thin neck and Bruko baritone which is a much thicker neck. Try experimenting with placement of the capo closer to the fret and/or placement of the neck further "into" the capo, if that makes sense.

Thanks Jim, will try those suggestions. There's not a lot of room to place the uke deeper into the capo, but will try.

The G7th performance capo's are nice. Just squeeze them down and they hold. This one is for a 6 string, but the they have them for banjos which is what would work the best on the uke. They clamp down far enough you can clamp it to your finger. http://elderly.com/accessories/items/CAPOG7.htm I saw the banjo capos at elderly the last time I was there. You'd have to call them, I don't see them on line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom