UU at namm on YouTube, what do you think?

drose

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been stalking UU's coverage of Namm 2014 on YouTube. What do you guys think of the new products, what do you wish the vendors/makers would have put out this year that they didn't?

Been UASing for a new kanilea tenor, so the diamond series had my interest. I wish it had a regular slotted stock instead of the cobra..

Last edited:
don't stress yourself out:)
just order one from HMS or direct from Kanilea....

I enjoy it and appreciate the efforts to keep us up on the latest.

Really miss MGM though, NAMM won't be the same without that smile.

I didn't see anything that blew my socks off in the 'ukulele realm or out. Not really even any interesting pedals! I was hoping Godin added synth access to the Mutiuke, but not this year...

I didn't see anything that blew my socks off in the 'ukulele realm or out. Not really even any interesting pedals! I was hoping Godin added synth access to the Mutiuke, but not this year...

You are now spoiled by your new Moore Bettah!!!:)

take care my Moore Bettah brother...

-=] built-in usb [=-

Namm 2014 on YouTube.... what do you wish the vendors/makers would have put out this year that they didn't?

I'd like to see all the ukulele makers that offer the B-Band preamps for their electronics for their ukes with pickups, allow for the upgrade to the preamp plug/power end that has a USB plug like Luna does with their 'Uke Song' or 'Uke Pearl' models, or like Lanikai does with their UkeSB line (and more info here from their 'Lanikai Labs' blog page).

Luna offers an 'upgrade' that you can buy direct from their web site, but they do not specify if it is compatible with any of their 'other' uke preamps, only the ones used in some of their guitars.

I may send them an email asking if it will work with the current model, or if they plan to offer that 'Heart Song' preamp to their other uke lines.

If I could get a Luna Tenor mahogany Tattoo model with USB, all factory installed, for like $239, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Similarly if The Magic Fluke Company would offer this as an option with the Fluke and Flea models, since they too offer the B-Band preamps and pickups, it would be a no-brainer for me, especially since they seem to be a forward thinking company with their instrument's construction and design.

Kala also seems to be a forward thinking company and it would be nice if they had this option.

The reason for this interest for built-in USB is that if it sounds good, then it could, once and for all answer the question for those that are technically challenged to get a good recording of their ukulele, with a minimum of fuss and be the simplest solution.

If you do a search on recording interfaces or similar there are dozens of discussions, with an infinite number of options, and this would make things real simple for both folks new to recording, and also to folks like myself that have been doing recording for what seems like forever.

Right now it seems the simplest and highest sound quality option seems to be the Apogee JAM ($99) or their new 2014 model JAM 96K ($129) with whatever pickup you have installed. They also have the Apogee Mic ($199) and new 2014 model Mic 96k ($229). If you dont have a pickup installed, or want to record the acoustic sound of more than one uke, and/or not spend to have a pickup in each instrument, getting one of the above MIC devices might save some money.

A few years ago Behringer made a strat-like guitar with USB, but it never took off because the guitar was poorly made and not a quality instrument according to reviews. Behringer is not a maker of instruments (but rather electronic audio gear), but these other folks listed above are in fact luthiers, and then they just need to offer a slightly different preamp option, so you could probably expect that these instruments would be more than barely playable out of the box, even with no 'setup'.

Having USB built-in to the uke will also remove the need for a separate audio interface, a separate microphone or noisy guitar cables running an analog signal from your pickup's output jack (USB cable is ALL digital), and any wall-warts and the whole bundle of messy wires needed to get everything going.

With a USB plug on the end, you could go into an iPad with the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (30-pin) -/- Lightning to USB Camera Adapter , or into an Android device with an 'On-The-Go' (OTG) cable, and of course USB direct into your computer whether it be Mac, Windows or Linux if the USB part of the preamp is 'Class Compliant' for CoreAudio (Mac) or ASIO (Windows) without any drivers. If using Linux (like Debian, Arch or Ubuntu), 'Class Compliant' should be no issue either. Full spec is here.

This technology ALREADY exists in a $35 (street price) device called the Griffin iMic, which I have used both with the Mac and the iPad and it works really well and sounds very good.

It's time for these instrument makers to step it up a little and offer some more options.

Also, I agree with Brad (HippyGuy) that I too would love to see Godin add MIDI to the Multi-Uke, either them or BlackBird to add it to their carbon fiber tenor ukulele, since they too are using the RMC saddle pickups in this model and they have the MIDI function as an option in both of the nylon and steel string guitar lines.

My interest in having MIDI is not for triggering synths, piano or flute sounds with my instrument, but rather to capture the MIDI, and then import that into a notation (or tablature) program to get a proper and accurate transcription of music that I have written. There are literally dozens of software packages to generate notation from MIDI, and this would help me a great deal in many ways.

This is a great topic. Thanks for the thread.

-Booli

I would like to see a hardshell tenor uke case somewhere between the low end wood and Hoffee, other than the Chinese-made fiberglass.

Several years ago when the current uke boom really took off you couldn't buy a tenor case for love or money. The Chinese were building tons of ukes and the case production lagged way behind. Builders were selling ukes in pillow cases with the promise of a case to follow when and if they came in. Thankfully we have a wide variety of case choices available today. I'm sure even more choices will be offered in the future.

Talking of cases, I bought a new Crossrock Fiberglass case at NAMM. It's a new color they included this year, Champagne.

Case 2.jpgCase 1.jpg

Nice. I'm thinking about one of these fiberglass cases, even though I would rather something like a Cedar Creek in faux alligator. Or a Hoffee ...

Last edited:
You know what I didn't see at NAMM*, but wish I would start seeing more of - double cases, or really nice sturdy double gig bags - in a size other than tenor, which I do see around from time to time.

*Really all I had eyes for was the Gotoh tuners on the new Kamakas, and a very pretty National Style 2 resonator uke, so - I may have been completely blinded by those two things. If I missed someone who actually does offer the aforementioned double cases, please let me know :)

Top Bottom