German Ukes?

moetrout

Reaction score
I am traveling to Germany in April for a week of meetings either in Frankfurt or Munich Germany. Everytime I go on one of these trips I get daily allowances for food. Whether I spend the money or not I get the same amount everyday. I usually come back with about $100 that I never use on food. The fledgling UAS in me knows it would be better if I actually spent that money while I was there. Otherwise my wife will just pay bills or some such nonsense like that. So....I'm dreaming of a German made uke. Perhaps a Saprano? I've looked at Bruko's and at an entry level of 130 euro it's in my playground. Are there any other German made ukes out there? Also, though I've been to Germany many times, does anyone know what kind of store sells musical instruments there? More specifically what do they call a music store in Germany? Anyone know?

I would definitely visit Brueko, they are a 1 hour drive from Frankfurt and a little over 2 from Munich just on the A3- you can actually get a tour of the shop and buy the ukes right there:
Flugplatzstraße 27
97318 Kitzingen
Telefon +49-9321-36181

Session Music in Frankfurt is a great store: www.session.de
Hanauer Landstraße 338, 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
+49 69 29702970

Oh, man, that's exciting!

Can't help you other than to say definitely visit Bruko -- take lots of pics for us! -- and snag one of their sopranos. They're great instruments.

It's going to take some careful planning as there is not much time to do anything after work. It's also complicated by the fact that stores just do not stay open late there like they do in the US. I have been looking over their site and I kind of like this model:

http://www.brueko.de/shop/product_i...-Black.html&XTCsid=1ht0aqabmo29lnmblso20ovtg6

I may have to ask of one my colleagues over there to make the purchase for me and being it to me at the meeting. Maybe it could work.

Hi -

Wow, that will be neat! I have one of those nice black thin-bodied sopranos. I like it a lot.

Kathryn

Last edited:
Hi -

Wow, that will be neat! I have one of those nice black thin-bodied sopranos. I like it a lot.

Kathryn

Thanks Kathryn. I like the looks, but how is the sound? I have a thin bodied Cordoba that is a little weak on volume unless you really strum it.

My Brüko thin body solid maple is most definitely not weak on volume. It is quite loud if you want it to be. It does have slightly less depth of sound than my standard sized Brüko soprano maple with arched back.

Hi -

Kathryn

Me, too, Kathryn!

I own nicer ukes, but I always always always come back to that Bruko.

just picked up a ca 1970s maple sunburst from a pawn shop on Ebay, really nice for 50 bucks!
I also enjoy my longneck archback with german spruce and jacaranda
Me, too, Kathryn! with a brazilian fretboard.

I own nicer ukes, but I always always always come back to that Bruko.

So my trip to Germany was postponed until the fall and I am here this week. I ended up having the Bruko delivered to my Hotel in Friedrichshafen. I chose a Bruko number 6. I made sure to bring my tuner and 2 sets of new strings (Martins and Worth browns). I had read many reviews that said the strings they put on them at the shop are not the best sounding. I have to say I agree with that. Upon inspection of this new beauty I am very impressed! Not a single flaw, blemish, or anything else. It is absolutely perfect. I am surprised that I see no kerfing inside the body. I played it a bit with the stock strings on it, but then changed them out for the Worth strings. A lot of reviewers of Bruko ukes suggested them. It is my first time trying Worth strings so I wanted to try them first and I think I will stick with them. I was careful when I put them on and have enough string to get 2 sets out of the Worths! As far as playing it I have not had a lot of time. The playing I have done has been late at night and early in the morning so I have been trying to keep it down so I do not disturb anyone in the hotel. I am hoping today I will have time during daylight hours to take it out on the balcony and really play it! It sounds great and intonation is spot on. I love the 2 tone look of the mahogany body against the maple neck. I am looking forward to getting to know it and hope I get more time to play before I leave. Mahalo!

IMG_1280.jpg

Lovely ukes those Bruko's! Congrats

I have three Brukos; a standard No. 9 tenor and custom concert and soprano. I bought the tenor from Omega music at a festival and I tried the No. 6 soprano at the same time. It was a close call between the two but I didn't have a tenor at the time so I got the tenor. The soprano came later. Brukos definitely have plenty of volume and have a bright tone. All three share this characteristic. The soprano sounds great tuned ADF#B - I think their sopranos are made with that tuning as the preferred.

I've not had any problems with the default strings. They all came with Pyramid carbon strings which are a fluorocarbon string and I found them little different from Worth Clears or Living Water (which are my preferred string). They used to fit a nondescript nylon string which is what many of the negative views of the stock strings are based on. If you prefer a more mellow sound then maybe Worth Browns are a better choice as they are reputed to be more mellow sounding than the clears. I like the brightness of the Brukos so clear fluorocarbon strings are my preferred choice.

Whatever your choice, Bruko ukuleles are fantastic value; superb built quality, spot on intonation, great tone, maybe a little bright for some. Those who play up the neck a lot tend to find the setup a little high and their all in one bridge design with its integrated saddle means lowering the setup at the bridge end difficult. Their custom models tend to come with a separate saddle and my tenor has a separate saddle although in their website they show the No. 9 tenor wth their all in one bridge arrangement.

I have the all maple full body soprano (#2). I picked it up here on the Marketplace strung with Worth Browns.

It has a lovely sound that goes well with Baroque music.

Top Bottom