NUD: Kala KA ATP CTG

FrankB

Reaction score
image.jpg

The ukelele arrived today, and it's in 100% condition! I ran across the same model in a concert size this weekend, and it stunk on ice. The sound was choked and the volume nil. The top was like a plank, so I was ready to order a LoPrinzi for the past couple of days. The uke arrived with an ideal string height at the nut and saddle, and the frets look like they haven't been touched. With about 2.5mm from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the strings, I could not cause any fret buzzing along the neck. Volume is a bit better than the Cordoba 20 TM my wife and I have been playing for weeks. The Kala has better sustain and volume at the 12 fret of the a string, and has more overall bark and bite than the Cordoba. The Cordoba is a bargain for the price, and I could have been happy with that for a while, but it's my wife's.

Both ukes need bone nuts and saddles. I just got a few in the mail, and I'll make those sometime shortly. The Kala has NuBone nut and saddle, but it looks like the same old soft plastic that works fine for under saddle pickups. The one thing that the both ukes share is a thuddy open e string. Touching the top of the tieblock mellows that string out, so I'll have to search for something to alleviate that annoying sound. Intonation at the 12th fret is dead on with the Kala, and close enough for my wife on the Cordoba.

String spacing at the nut was 2mm more narrow on the Kala, even though the nut width is the same. I'll give myself a little more space when I make the new nut. Spacing at the saddle was nearly 3mm wider on the Cordoba, but the narrower Kala is fine for finger style. The tuners on both ukes work fine, but the Kala's slotted headstock is what I'm used to with classical and flamenco guitars. I must admit I'm sort of anal about fit and finish, and carry mirrors to view the inside of guitars, as well as string height gauges. Both of the ukes are nicely made, but the Kala is better. After seeing the concert size Kala over the weekend, the tenor's thin top was a pleasant surprise. It's much thinner than the Cordoba's mahogany top, and could be depressed with a gentle squeeze.

The Stagg case arrived from another dealer, but in the same shipment. It's fine, but had several dark smudges on the back. It was wrapped in some sort of black plastic burlap type material, and while that might be the source of the smudges, they're here to stay.

Okay.... So I loved the Kala, and thought an even "better" uke would be great. I ordered a Pono ATD, and had it shipped 2nd Day Fedex. My wife and I waited impatiently for the Pono, and when it arrived....meh. The Kala blow it out of the water in terms of volume, and the Kala at least equaled the Pono's sustain. The Pono did not have the Aquila strings that are on the Kala, but I couldn't see a string change pumping up the volume enough to equal the Kala. It was back in its shipping box, and taken to Fedex in a very short time.

So now I can just appreciate the Kala, even if I'm out $75 in shipping. That would have bought a lot of strings.....

Top Bottom