NUD, Lanikai S-TEK blem from Butler, ng out of the box, but they replaced.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received a Lanikai S-TEK blem from Butler Music yesterday, but the Fishman Kula preamp/tuner/pickup did not work. It would power on, but would not tune or amplify. I used new batteries, made sure the tuner was off, tested my other ukes with the battery and amp, which did work, but nada on the Kula.

When I emailed Butler, they immediately said they would ship me another one fully checked out, and include a return label for the one I have. Very happy with the way they handled it.

In the mean time, while I wait for the replacement S-TEK, and my Hanknn to return from the luthier lowering the action (which I'll do myself from now on), and delivery of the Bruce Wei mandolele in a couple of weeks, and delivery of the East-Start arch-top at the end of February, I'm going to swap out the poorly conceived Fishman Sonicore preamp/pickup in my new Lanikai zebra wood I received Friday and install a Fishman Isis+ in the side (which I've done with the quilted ash, and the monkey pod I gifted).

Last edited:
Butler Music good dealer, great customer service.

I second the praise of Butler Music. I've bought 2 blems (a tenor and bari Lanikai) and a "gambler's special" bari as well as several cases. Always great to deal with them.

You received it yesterday and it's already up to #6 in your signature!

After changing my signature a few times in the last couple of days, I settled on showing the order I have received my others and when I will receive the new ukes so I don't have to keep modifying it. So far it's going to plan with info from the distributor, FedEx. UPS and USPS; the zebra wood arrived Friday, the S-TEK arrived Monday, the mandolele is scheduled for about 14 days, the arch-top after Feb. 20th (that one is the most up-in-the-air).

Last edited:
I bought concert Lanikai's for my sons' birthdays from Butler Music. They were blems, but I couldn't find the marks and had to refer back to the ebay photos to find where the little spots were. They showed up better in photos than they did in person. Butler Music is a great resource. Glad it all worked out!

yeah i'm also a fan of butler music,i've bought 7 ukes from them,new,blem's,gambler specials, and they all were as described ,no surprises..always great prices and service....for the under $200 price range..they are highly recommended !!!!

Also had good experiences with Butler - they've messed up my order a couple of times, but they always made it right - sometimes more than right (once they threw in a couple of extra ukes!). I just ordered a few gambler's special baritones from them today - I'm going to fix them up for friends.

Top Bottom