The Pete Seeger Appreciation Thread

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the spot on the forums but ...
I loved and respected Pete Seeger a lot and I think we should send him off with some songs.
If you have some Pete or Pete inspired songs please post them here.
If you don't know about him watch this documentary -

A man of integrity and courage.

Last edited:
"Eight Hour Day"

traditional. One I learnt from Pete's amazing LP 'American Industrial Ballads' which came out on Folkways around '56.

"Union Maid"

one of Woody's that Pete sang first with him in The Almanac Singers and played continuously throughout his career, keeping Guthrie's legacy alive.

"The Blind Fiddler"

1850. Another from 'American Industrial Ballads'

"This Old Car"

original from Pete from the mid 50's, off the record 'Love songs for friends and foes'

"I'll Sing You A Love Song"

1955. my favourite Pete Seeger original

"Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues"

another I learnt from the 1957 record of American Industrial Ballads

I really appreciate these Pete Seeger tunes. Most of which I knew but one or two new ones to me. I came of age and went to college in the 60's. I found his music and his activism inspiring
Cliff

Well, the one I did for Season 101 - The Frozen Logger - was performed by the Weavers in 1951. Pete and Fred Hellerman traded verses.

I'll try and get a few more done, if I can figure out the video recording issues.

As Arlo said: "Of course he passed away. That doesn't mean he's gone..."

-Kurt​

Gee, what super performances everyone. Thanks so much for this thread Brian, a really awesome idea mate. I hope to post some more songs soon too. I think this is a thread with legs. We will be able to dip into this one for years and add to it.

Brian and I discussed changing the title slightly the other day. We are going to re-name it "The Pete Seeger Appreciation Thread" which should make it easier to find for members looking up Pete in the UU search function in future.

Please keep your songs coming everybody. Cheers.

Top Bottom