Low G buz & overpowering

diranu

Reaction score
I have a Pono Tenor uke that I put a set of Worth BT-LG (low G) strings on. I love the Worth strings in general but the G has quite a buzz going all the way up the fretboard. Also, it seems to be quite loud & overpowers the other strings. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem putting Worth-low G on my Fluke. It created a buzz and the tone did not blend well with the higher strings. It was loud, booming, buzzing, and sounded pretty bad.

I have no clue what to do about it. I gave up on the low G for that instrument lol.

Perfect example of how certain instruments are built for certain strings. What was wrong with the Ko`olau Golds that were on the Pono in the first place?

As for the Worth low g, funny that two of you find them overpowering - I always found them very tinny for my taste (of course, all of the gauges are small, and don't match with my instruments very well - but on others, like the Pineapple Sunday, excellent).

At least you didn't put on Aquila's.

-Aaron

I'm another one that doesn't like the worth low-g. I'm currently using worth clear strings on my tenor except for the low g which I replaced with a wound string.

I bought this Pono used & not sure of the strings that were on it. Didn't like them as much as I wanted to so I replaced them with the Golds (standard G). I liked the Golds which I've had in the past on another Pono but wanted to try the Worths. I do like the Worths more than the Golds but it may be a good idea for me to try the Golds with the low G. I really like the sound with the low G on this uke. I don't think the low G fits just any uke but this one really sings with the low G. If it were not for the buzz & the overpowering low G, they would be quite a good match. Hopefully the Golds will be a better option. Thanks for all the input!!!

I have a Pono Tenor uke that I put a set of Worth BT-LG (low G) strings on. I love the Worth strings in general but the G has quite a buzz going all the way up the fretboard. Also, it seems to be quite loud & overpowers the other strings. Any suggestions?

Your buzzing is probably caused by a groove in the saddle from the original wound-g string, combined with the floppy-ness of the worth low-g. Depending on how bad the saddle's grooved using a wound low-g might help get rid of the buzz

I recently tried a low G from Hilo strings which is a bronze wound, compared to the copper wound. The bronze wound seemed to have less overpowering lows compared to other low Gs that I have used and matched better with my other strings..on my uke. Like Kekani said, it depends on the uke build. If the Pono doesn't project the trebles or perhaps if the strings don't match that uke, the low G may be overpowering. Strings really should be selected to match the instrument and your desired sound. It's great to see more and more uke owners trying out different strings. Guitar players do it all the time and have the same type of discussions and disagreements as we have on this forum.

I have a low G on my concert fluke and personally like how it sounds, good for Hawaiian songs. It takes some getting use to, especially if you are use to a small sound, like that of a soprano which some call "traditional" uke sound. For me, after listening to a lot of Hawaiian music, I tend to like the low G but play most of my other ukes without depending on the song. When I took lessons from Roy Sakuma Studio, I used low G because the songs they taught used the low G octave.

MGM, you guessed it. I had a Gold wound G that just showed up at my door. When I put in on there was still something just not right. I had a Gold wound 3rd from a set I ordered by mistake & put that on also. I know some people aren't fans of wound strings but this has made such an improvement on this Pono I could hardly put it down. The G is not so strong now. This is the sound I was looking for on this particular uke, rich & deep. It's definetly a different sound than from the traditional uke but I have other ukes for that. I love the Worth browns but the combination of Gold & Worth strings is perfect! :shaka: Thanks to all!

I just put Aquila low-G Nylgut strings on my soprano Lanikai koa and absolutely love them. They bring out a warmth in the instrument I haven't heard since buying it. :)

Top Bottom