Which strings are you using for DGBE Baritone? EFT 13's anyone?

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi there. I just picked up a vintage Martin Baritone. I was looking at the EFT 13 flat wounds from D'Addario, with polished bases. Anyone have suggestions for polished bases to go with the trebles? I like med to high tension and a little thicker 1st string so I noticed the EFT 13 which may be decent to try.

Any suggestions that might fit those requirements.
Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Not sure about coated strings but I am up for suggestions. Will it be safe to use any acoustic guitar sets as far as tension is concerned?

Cheers!

There are sure lots of options. At the moment I have LaBella strings on a Kala acacia baritone and they sound pretty nice, mellow tone. Note the Kala has an ebony nut and bridge, so it is naturally fairly warm sounding. Nylon, 2 wounds (that don't squeak very much) Really cheap compared to some options -- $3.30 at Elderly

I use Thomastik-Infeld chromium flat-wound classical guitar strings for the D and G (CF35 and CF30) and Seaguar fluorocarbon fishing leader for the B and E on my linear baritone.

These are fairly high tension, sound great, and the flat wound strings don't squeak anywhere near as much as "normal" round wound strings.

John

I like the non-wound Worth Browns. They took a few days to settle in but they sound good on my white label Kamaka baritone

I use Thomastik-Infeld chromium flat-wound classical guitar strings for the D and G (CF35 and CF30) and Seaguar fluorocarbon fishing leader for the B and E on my linear baritone.

These are fairly high tension, sound great, and the flat wound strings don't squeak anywhere near as much as "normal" round wound strings.
--------------

This sounds great. Which Seaguar #test are you using? I have a fishing store down the street that has every gauge of that possible on 25 foot spool ( I think that was the smallest spool ). I like higher tension strings.

Appreciate the info.

Tnx!

This sounds great. Which Seaguar #test are you using? I have a fishing store down the street that has every gauge of that possible on 25 foot spool ( I think that was the smallest spool ). I like higher tension strings.

Appreciate the info.

Tnx!

I use the "Blue Label" 90 for the B string and the "Blue Label" 80 for the E string. The 80 also works well for a high-D string for reentrant tuning on the bari. On my reentrant bari I use the "Premium" 130 lb for an unwound G. It's a little "snappish" but sounds better to my ear than a wound string on the G when the other three are fluorocarbon.

On the linear bari I use the Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30 for the D and G respectively, and then the Blue Label 90 and 80 for the B and E.

Both sets intonate quite well on both my Mainland (about 19.5" scale) and Pono (21" if I remember right).

John

I use the "Blue Label" 90 for the B string and the "Blue Label" 80 for the E string. The 80 also works well for a high-D string for reentrant tuning on the bari. On my reentrant bari I use the "Premium" 130 lb for an unwound G. It's a little "snappish" but sounds better to my ear than a wound string on the G when the other three are fluorocarbon.

On the linear bari I use the Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30 for the D and G respectively, and then the Blue Label 90 and 80 for the B and E.

Both sets intonate quite well on both my Mainland (about 19.5" scale) and Pono (21" if I remember right).

John

Thank you so much! I gotta dump these horrible GHS's on here now...the B and E strings are just all wrong, wrong guage, not high enough tension.
Going to pick some up over the weekend.

Top Bottom