ukulele sound is bad

itzryo

Reaction score
I have a Mahalo U-350 Deluxe Soprano Ukulele. When I play the ukulele it makes this bad sizzle sound when I strum it. I have no idea whats wrong with my ukulele. Maybe I need better strings, my current strings are plastic. Help please!

Sizzle? is the action too low?

Sorry, I'm a beginner. What do you mean by action?

1743377_638281136233541_694168846_n.jpg this is my action and the sound is more of like a shaking of a Maraca. It only makes that sound on the 2nd string up to down

It might be string buzz. If you pluck a single string does it make a buzzing noise?

I'm not thinking Mahalo has a high level of quality control when it comes to the playability of their instruments.

I have a Smiley Mahalo UM-40 soprano and let me tell you the strings it comes with are best kept for garbage ties or dental floss. Mine buzzed real bad on the two strings closest to you when played open (no fingers on it). I did a little work to mine lowering a high fret and cutting the nut and then gave up there after switching to D'addario titanium strings. It simply wouldn't stay in tune at all and frustrated me.

After putting on a set of Aquila nylgut soprano strings I am amazed at the difference of this little guy. Looking at my action your strings look easily twice as high as mine and my little Smiley no longer buzzes when strummed or fretting notes.

I think you would benefit most from a setup of your ukulele. I did my own work using the wrong tools and did a decent job remember Smiley was under $40 delivered. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89687-Blueprinting-Smiley

Good luck

In addition to strings buzzing on frets, excess string touching the soundboard/top of the ukelele will sizzle and buzz. Not keeping your fingers close to the fret will cause buzzing, as will inadequate pressure. Try plucking each string individually as you fret each not along that string. If the sizzle/buzz occurs, adjust your finger pressure and make sure its close to the fret. If that solves the problem, then there's your answer. Do this for each string.

I'm not a long time ukelele player, but I have been playing classical guitar for many years. Our hands work together, either intentionally or unintentionally. Tension in one hand produce tension in the other hand. If you're struggling with keeping time while strumming, it could cause you to clamp your fretting fingers down in the wrong place (i.e. To far for the fret). Focusing on your strumming hand could also cause you to relax your focus on fretting, and not apply enough pressure on the fretted notes. Strumming causes strings to vibrate much more than plucking an individual note, especially when you use your thumb or more than one finger. After checking each string for fret buzz, look closely at your fretting hand position.

Loose braces inside the ukelele can cause a buzz/sizzle as well, but that a bit more difficult to check. If you have end pins for a strap, make sure they're screwed tightly. If your ukelele has electronics, wires should not being able to touch any part of the ukelele's insides, including other wires. I played an acoustic-electric classical several years ago that made an awful sizzling noise (loud!), and quickly saw that one of the wires was contacting the soundboard.

If the string is making a buzzing sound when you play it open (no fingers on the fretboard) its Mahalos poor quality control not you.

Call your local music stores and ask around for a luther that will set it up the ukulele for you properly. Nothing will frustrate anyone learning a new skill faster than the instrument fighting them all the way.

You might get away with putting on a good set of strings but that will not lower the action of that molded plastic nut. You will see many here recommend certain sellers due to their instruments coming with a setup. Know I learned everything I know from watching youtube videos on ukulele and guitar setup. Now I'm hooked on working on these things. If your not that type the next uke you buy make sure it comes with a setup from a respectable seller.

Did you buy your uke through the internet? Mine came from musicians friend the inside of the box was just starting to grow mold. No matter what don't get mad or frustrated its an easy fix.

~Al

Here's an on line tuner in case you don't have a clip on one yet. This will let you check that you're at the correct tension as Paul suggests. http://www.get-tuned.com/online_ukulele_tuner.php

I think many beginners don't realize that their tuner may be reading G,C,E,A ...
....but it is the G,C,E,A *an octave below* the one they want.
This would definitely make an open string buzz.

Last edited:
I think many beginners don't realize that their tuner may be reading G,C,E,A ...

You're quite right. When I only had one uke and changed the strings for the first time, I realized I didn't know what pitch was correct. The on-line tuner gives you that.

Hah that's so true. When I first put on a low g, I was thinking to myself, this sounds awful and I hate it. Threw it away right then. It was probably an octave low now that I think of it lol.

^^^ this. I still worry/confuse myself when changing strings out.

How do I change it to the G,C,E,A an octave below

Top Bottom