Two Vintage Hawaiian Ukes- $225 each

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronckeim

Reaction score
Here are two old Hawaiian ukes, one marked Kumalae, the other unmarked but the same age and style of build. Both have been fixed up by me and are ready to play. Despite the rough life they lived, they are solid and tight and ready for 80 more years of strumming service! If you want to discuss these or make an offer, please email info@thebeansprout.com instead of messaging me here. IMG_0267.jpg[IMG_0268.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0270.jpgIMG_0271.jpg

#1 is the solid Koa Kumalae. It had a big top and big back crack, both have been cleated and filled and are solid, despite the ugly appearance. I also lowered the bridge, made a new fret saddle that is properly intonated, dressed the frets and added new high quality friction pegs and fluorocarbon strings. Notice that somebody used light colored putty to patch a small hole in the side. The action is medium high at the bridge, but because of how these were originally designed, can't go any lower. It is the loudest and fullest sounding of the two. There are many small scratches, dings, scuffs, etc...including some streaks in the finish on the back. 21 inches long with a 13 inch scale. Width at nut is 1 3/8 inches. $225 includes US shipping.

Here is the second one. It is unlabeled but a similar age and style. It has beautiful curly koa top and back and a slightly thicker neck for a more modern feel. Compared to the other one, it has a mellower and darker sound with more sustain. The top and back are crack free. The side was crushed and I patched it up with some rough and ready koa patches. The bridge and saddle were in the wrong place, so I cut down the bridge and added a new saddle for proper intonation. I also dressed the frets, added new high quality friction tuners and flurocarbon strings. It also has lots of scuffs, nicks etc...including some dark play wear on the top. 21 inches long, 13 1/4 scale and 1 1/4 width at nut. $225 includes US shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
A couple more of #2.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 69
Very cool pieces of uke history! If I didn't have to worry about lack of humidity several months of the year, I'd love to have one of these on display. And to play now and then thanks to Aaron's set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom