"That's Why They Call Me Shine"

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Here's a favorite tune of mine, "That's Why They Call Me Shine", written in 1910 at the end of minstrel era - but rather than being a coon song, it really is a commentary on that sensibility and very unique for its time.

I do the tune as an instrumental on the banjo uke, for which it seems particularly well suited. This played on Ludwig Wendell Hall from the late 20s, and featuring a lot of triple and split strokes.

Wonderful. Thats all.

Thanks, John, Cam, Dave and Randy! Glad that you liked it. As for technique, thank you, but I always find, really annoyingly, that I blow a couple of basic strums. And yet, I post anyway as my sense of exhibitionism too often wins out over my sense of shame. :D

Thank you, Brian; thas very kind of you! And thank you, Fernando. Yes, I have heard Janet Klein's version. She's got a great sense for these tunes, doesn't she?

I really loved that. You are truly a talent. Very impressive strum technic.

man you are THAT good. I look forward to everything you do john cause it is always freakin jaw dropping. love this song and you did it better than any version I've ever heard

Thank you, Jon and Doc. Well, I can't get a better accolade than a nod from either of you guys, let alone both of you. :) Jon - that means a lot to me. :) Doc, the wrists are old and creaky, but endless repetition makes those strokes work. I'll show you on Skype sometime! :D

Top Bottom