New Aquila Strings

clayton56

Reaction score
I noticed two new types of uke strings from Aquila, so I decided to try one of each.

One is Bionylon, which I like quite a bit for the uke in question. They're a little plasticy, but nice and bright and lively.

The other is the Red series, which I don't care for so far. I may try them on a different uke later. They're quite thin and stiff, and sound like metal strings almost. Another problem is they're dark red and hard to see.

I'm not a fan of the favorite Aquila strings, the nylgut, which don't sound anything like gut to me. The Bionylons seem to have some similarities, but have better intonation and response.

Aquila seems to have raised the price of their natural gut strings, and Elderly has stopped carrying them. Price on the Aquila website was 22 euros. Ouch! Glad I stocked up a few years ago.

Have you tried the D'Addario Nyltech strings? These were designed in collaboration with Aquila and are supposed to sound like "real" gut strings. I have no idea what the real deal is supposed to sound like, but I do like the Nyltechs quite a bit (and I like them a LOT more than I like the "new Nylguts" which I don't care for at all). And they're inexpensive and you can get them on Amazon.

I noticed two new types of uke strings from Aquila, so I decided to try one of each.

One is Bionylon, which I like quite a bit for the uke in question. They're a little plasticy, but nice and bright and lively.

The other is the Red series, which I don't care for so far. I may try them on a different uke later. They're quite thin and stiff, and sound like metal strings almost. Another problem is they're dark red and hard to see.

I'm not a fan of the favorite Aquila strings, the nylgut, which don't sound anything like gut to me. The Bionylons seem to have some similarities, but have better intonation and response.

Aquila seems to have raised the price of their natural gut strings, and Elderly has stopped carrying them. Price on the Aquila website was 22 euros. Ouch! Glad I stocked up a few years ago.

ive been super happy with the classic nylguts on my lanikai and with the red series high g on my concert.
I need to check out their new forumulas soon.

Has anyone tried daddario "Rectified" classical guitar strings?

I have a set of hard tension on a 3/4 Oscar Schmidt guitar-
they are interesting- sort of a cross between clear nylon and nylgut-
I like them- though it's hard to compare their sound to strings on a full sized guitar, that I'm accustomed to
and the three basses of course are more conventional wound
I'm wondering how they compare to the Aquila Bionylon strings

I got a low G and low D red series separate strings recently- and haven't tried them yet- can't imagine how they'll sound- they remind me some kind of baling twine- but I'll hold judgement until they're on.

I've been sanding the hell out of a Rogue baritone uke- they are quite blond, and the wood under the finish goes quickly- and some of the interior bracing-

Enlarged the soundhole a quarter inch too

it's sounding more and more hollow, but probably still not going to match the Lanikai "gambler's special" bari- VERY hollow!
and it snot stringed yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom