Concert vs Tenor on an airplane

JamieWG

Reaction score
I have to fly next week and I really, really want to bring a uke with me. I was hoping to have a soprano for travel by now, but it was damaged in shipping, so here I am with a concert and a tenor to choose from. I'd rather bring my Pono tenor, but I'm wondering if it will be less likely for me to have to check my uke if I bring the concert. What do you all think? I have a seat way in the back of the plane, so I should be able to board early. I'm pretty sure even my tenor with hard case will fit in the overhead. I'd feel more relaxed if I were going with a soprano, but is there any chance they will make me check the tenor? Would I be better off taking the concert size?

There are tons of threads on flying with a uke.
I travel with a tenor, hard case, in the overhead frequently.

I have flown with instruments in general. Take it to the gate if you can. Even if they don't let you bring it aboard, there is usually the option to check it at the gate. This isn't a bad option because it's put on relatively last and you get it at the next gate instead of baggage claim.

I have to fly next week and I really, really want to bring a uke with me. I was hoping to have a soprano for travel by now, but it was damaged in shipping, so here I am with a concert and a tenor to choose from. I'd rather bring my Pono tenor, but I'm wondering if it will be less likely for me to have to check my uke if I bring the concert. What do you all think? I have a seat way in the back of the plane, so I should be able to board early. I'm pretty sure even my tenor with hard case will fit in the overhead. I'd feel more relaxed if I were going with a soprano, but is there any chance they will make me check the tenor? Would I be better off taking the concert size?

I travel all the time on airplanes with my ukes. Tenor with a Reunion Blues bag which is bigger than a hard case. Never had anyone say anything and if they ever did I would show them the duffel bags folks bring on that take up an entire overhead. I have flown domestic and international and the only comments I get (and they are frequent) is "Are you gonna play us something". I have not flown any tiny commuter plans where you need to be anorexic to fit in the seat and not have your elbow in your neighbors chest but if that ever happens, I'll just show them my pilots license and ask them to keep it in the cockpit or staff section and I am sure they would. I would not worry if you are flying a regular plan like a Southwest 737 or Airbus A320 or larger. All fit Tenor's with hard cases just fine in the overhead.

I always travel with a Tenor and I never had a problem. It fits in the overhead. But I would feel SO BAD if you were asked to check yours. So even though I have never had a problem with any airline I hesitate to advise. I would love to hear from anyone who did have a problem, maybe I have just been lucky.

Great to hear that none of you have had issues flying with a tenor. I would much prefer a soprano size for traveling, but at least I feel more confident that the tenor will make it into the cabin of the plane.

I've been wondering how people travel with tenor 'ukulele as I'd love to take mine with me the next time I fly back to the islands. It's good to hear that many have been able to take them as carry-on.

I'm curious as it's been a few months since your post -- how did it work out for you?

-Alan

Top Bottom