Scott Wise ukuleles, Can anyone tell me about theirs ?

Doc_J

Reaction score
We don't get a lot of non-USA related uke info on this site (By USA related ukes I mean either ukes built in the USA or sold by USA based companies).

Can anyone tell me about Scott Wise ukulele? I've read some really good bits about them from time to time, even seen a couple for sale. But haven't seen folks discuss Scott Wise ukuleles much. So, please say what you know about playing one. I'd like to find out more.

I just took delivery of my special order Scott Wise Soloist Tenor after Christmas. Scott builds them for low G from the start and I had him set mine up to be tuned E, A, C#, F# although his standard tuning is GCEA.

Its a superb instrument. Warm, loud, lots of sustain and punch. The intonation on mine is just about perfect which is no mean feat since its detuned 3 semitones. Its a beautiful instrument too with figured Tasmanian Blackwood done simply and tastefully.

The soloist tenor is a superb instrument yet not your classical ukulele. Scott does make a classical, 12 fret to body tenor as well if that's your desire.

I'll do a YouTube review of mine sometime soon.

Anthony

I just took delivery of my special order Scott Wise Soloist Tenor after Christmas. Scott builds them for low G from the start and I had him set mine up to be tuned E, A, C#, F# although his standard tuning is GCEA.

Its a superb instrument. Warm, loud, lots of sustain and punch. The intonation on mine is just about perfect which is no mean feat since its detuned 3 semitones. Its a beautiful instrument too with figured Tasmanian Blackwood done simply and tastefully.

The soloist tenor is a superb instrument yet not your classical ukulele. Scott does make a classical, 12 fret to body tenor as well if that's your desire.

I'll do a YouTube review of mine sometime soon.

Anthony

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to hearing your new Wise Soloist tenor.

A few years ago, I posted about a trip I made to the Music Emporium. They had a lot of higher-end, production and custom ukuleles in stock at the time. The only ones I really liked were several Collings and a Scott Wise. I was very impressed.

A very nice Wise baritone just sold on Ebay.

A just had a look on Ebay. A listing has just finished for a Wise tenor without a sale from a seller in Hawaii. Its a traditional tenor with 12 frets to body. The seller inaccurately lists it as being made from Curly Koa. Its made from Tasmanian Blackwood which is from the same family as Koa. Its not Koa.

The price isn't cheap. $1000 US. A new one would cost you $1400 AUS + shipping + waiting. And waiting.

Hard to say. When you play them the quality is obvious but I guess its a hard call without being able to play it and its not a well known brand.

Anthony

Last edited:
I have a Wise Concert. It is gorgeous to look at, and the sound is beyond anything else I've heard.

I have many friends who were skeptical about ukuleles. Not since the Wise arrived 9 moths ago.

$1400 well spent. Happy to discuss via telephone if you wish. I cannot talk enough about them.

Here are pictures of my Ukulele. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...st-your-uke-pics-here-)&p=1473223#post1473223

Last edited:
Scott is located in Margaret River. This is a pretty isolated area of the Australian continent. It is very near the point where the Southern and Indian oceans meet.
While I was on a tour of OZ in November, I stopped in to talk with Scott and visit his shop. It is a one man shop so all work is done by Scott himself. His forte is bringing the sound out of wood, not bling.
I ordered a 12 fret traditional tenor and a baritone while I was there. When they arrive, I'll post photos etc.

The shop is small but very well organized. The "Star" of the shop is the wood. There is plenty of wood and he has it sorted for his purposes. I don't know what the method is, but he does.

Scott Wise came out to NY for the uke fest a few years ago. He's a super nice guy and his instruments are very light and resonant. His baritone might be the best baritone I've ever played. It's hard to get your hands on one of his ukes in the US, but if you have the money and want something out of the ordinary it might be worth taking a chance on one.

I have to say Scott is a really really nice guy and he really gets that tonal immediacy and all his ukes sound "alive"

Thanks everyone. I picked up well-played Wise tenor. It is definitely one of the best ukes I have played. The tone, warmth, projection, resonance, balance, feel are outstanding. I guess part of its great sound is from all hours it was played.

Thanks everyone. I picked up well-played Wise tenor. It is definitely one of the best ukes I have played. The tone, warmth, projection, resonance, balance, feel are outstanding. I guess part of its great sound is from all hours it was played.

WHAT?? Are you saying that instruments open up?

Its been a while :eek: but I have FINALLY uploaded a new video to YouTube. A quick review of my Scott Wise Tenor Solo and a discussion of the steps I have taken to record, edit and upload the video.

Anthony

Thanks for posting your video. I am looking forward to the two ukes I ordered from Scott

Thanks for posting your video. I am looking forward to the two ukes I ordered from Scott

Thanks. Its a great ukulele. I'll be posting more video's using the Scott Wise and I'll use better microphones although the inbuilt microphones aren't that bad at all. There is some proximity effect going on and I'm sure they will sound better if I get closer.

Anthony

Its been a while :eek: but I have FINALLY uploaded a new video to YouTube. A quick review of my Scott Wise Tenor Solo and a discussion of the steps I have taken to record, edit and upload the video.

Anthony

Thank you Anthony. I enjoyed your playing and hearing your Wise Solo Tenor.

My Wise is a standard tenor with 12 frets to the body. I like it tuned down one or two steps.
https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/b-flat-vs-b-tuning

Thank you Anthony. I enjoyed your playing and hearing your Wise Solo Tenor.

My Wise is a standard tenor with 12 frets to the body. I like it tuned down one or two steps.
https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/b-flat-vs-b-tuning

Thanks for posting this. One of the ukes I have on order is a standard 12 fret tenor. I've asked him to set it up for clear Worth GCEA strings.

I just purchased a Wise soprano ukulele. She weighs 11 oz. which is half the weight of my Cocobolo ukulele but the tone is richer and broader, despite it being still new. I can't wait to see how it develops. Photos don't capture the depth of the finish. It's close to tiger eye in color and shine. It's magnificent in construction. It took about four months to arrive in the States from Australia from the date of deposit.
image.jpg

Top Bottom