Easy way to remember note position

Stagehand

Reaction score
I ran across this and wanted to share.

NOTE...This is Not my work. I copied and pasted from
http://ukulelelanguages.com/ukulele-beginner/herman-vandecauters-tips-on-ukulele-fingerpicking/

"I’ll give you a good trick to memorise the fingerboard. Everybody can memorise 7 phone numbers, well for each note you have to remember a 4-digit-number. The first digit will indicate the position of the note on the 4th string, the second digit the position of the note on the 3rd string and so on…

C (Do) : 5 0 8 3
D (Ré) : 7 2 10 5
E (Mi) : 9 4 0 7
F (Fa) : 10 5 1 8
G (Sol) : 0 7 3 10
A (La) : 2 9 5 0
B (Si) : 4 11 7 2"

Very interesting concept... thanks for sharing the resource you found...

I would also add, that any note that is on a low number 3 or less will have it's corresponding octave available 12 frets up...

It also made me play around with each note and make a mental note of where each note is all over the fretboard.. funny I've been playing classical guitar for years and yet I never took the time to do this.

Also plan to do the same with chords... ie. do each chord at all possible positions....

Found this site for chords, pretty cool... http://www.ukulelestrummers.com/Allpositions.html

Last edited:
I ran across this and wanted to share.

[FONT=&]C (Do) : 5 0 8 3[/FONT]
[FONT=&]D (Ré) : 7 2 10 5[/FONT]
[FONT=&]E (Mi) : 9 4 0 7[/FONT]
[FONT=&]F (Fa) : 10 5 1 8[/FONT]
[FONT=&]G (Sol) : 0 7 3 10[/FONT]
[FONT=&]A (La) : 2 9 5 0[/FONT]
[FONT=&]B (Si) : 4 11 7 2"[/FONT]

Shouldn't the last note be "B" (Ti) instead of (Si)?

I was taught fixed "do" using "si" for anything b-flavored.

I made money in school tutoring classmates who'd learned movable do and knew it as "ti" and needed to convert.

"Fixed" means "C is always do" . . "Movable" means "Current Tonic is Always do" . . people get VERY partisan about the superiority of the system they were first taught, but both systems have their strengths.

Top Bottom