Weird Vibration

Captain Google

Ukulele Captain
Reaction score
For some reason, my E string is resonating with my C string. This only happens, however, at the fourth fret (an E, interestingly enough). What could be causing this?

By the way, I have Aquila nylguts (high G).

Last edited:
Scratch that, it's not the only problem string. The A string resonates with the G, second fret (an A), and the G resonates with the E, third fret (a G).

It's the harmonics; isn't it wonderful? :) It's not really something to worry too much about (if at all). I think it should be celebrated, because that means your uke is tuned. If your E string resonates with with your C string on the fourth fret, it means your E string is tuned properly (supposing the C string is actually tuned to C... otherwise you've just doomed yourself on the E string by spoling it with the wrongly tuned C string)

Gah, how do I explain this...

Basically, if you fret any one of the notes that the other strings are tuned to (3rd fret on A string will make a C note, 4th fret on the C string will make an E, 2nd fret on the G string will make an A, 3rd fret on the E string will make a G, etc.) the open string with the corresponding letter will resonate with it if it's tuned porperly, which in your case, it is.

Let me know if you need a better explanation. I'm having a hard time understanding myself, haha ;)

Well, I knew what it was doing, but I just wasn't sure if it was due to a problem, or if it was natural.

Thanks for answering my question. I'll try to embrace the harmony. :cheers:

Top Bottom