Mandolele finished

resoman

Reaction score
This was inspired by Beau Hannam's cutaway uke he finished a few weeks ago. It is my first cutaway and it was built for the mandolin player in the band I am in. It's basically a tenor with the lower bout a little wider than usual and the waist pushed towards the neck a little. Thicker than a mandolin and concert scale. The photos were shot before the final buff and when I was still puzzling over the strings. He wants to tune mando style in 5ths, G D A E, and I couldn't keep the 1st string from breaking so I finally ended up with a steel string there. Maple back and sides, sitka top, faux tortoise shell binding and herringbone purfling. all in all, I'm pretty happy, especially with the sound.
mando.jpg
mando1.jpg
mando2.jpg

Ksquine, A few weeks I wish!! I started not long after Beau started his Maccaferri. I let it sit for a while in the middle of the build and "mellow".

Looks great, would you be able to post a recording? I know they sound better as they break in, but it'd still be interesting to hear. :)

Thank you guys for your kind words.
We're having band practice tonight so I'll try to get him to let me video.

For the E string that keeps snapping you could try a charango or Ronroco E string...

Here is a short video/sound sample of the mandolele. We were at a house concert last Tuesday night. My friend that has it brought it and Joe played it for a while. It was recorded by somebody that was there with an iphone so the video and sound are not the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lUO7Z6mhU

Top Bottom