Lanikai lqa-tca quilt ash acoustic/electric tenor cut-away - sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddir58

Reaction score
LANIKAI LQA-TCA QUILT ASH ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC TENOR CUT-AWAY

A NEW USED ONLY AS A DEMO MODEL FOR 1 MONTH,SET-UP QUILT ASH TENOR CUT-AWAY WITH PICK-UP,LANIKAI MSRP IS $490,RETAIL IS $350-425...MY PRICE IS $275,ADD $20 FOR USPS 1-3 DAY PRIORITY SHIPPING. UKE IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION,LOOKS GREAT AND PLAYS FANTASTIC BOTH ACOUSTICLY AND ELECTRIC....MED ACTION,TONALITY IS GREAT,AQUILLA STRINGS (7U) HIGH G,... SUPER BRIGHT...CLEAN...CLEAR...CRISP VOICE....SHIPS SAME DAY....I ACCEPT PAYPAL,ALSO VISA,M/C,AMEX......I AM SELLING BECAUSE I HAVE 2 OF THESE,...ALSO I HAVE 35 UKES IN MY COLLECTION AND NEED TO DOWNSIZE....LOOK FOR OTHER OFFERINGS SOON !!!ALOHA,sorry ships to u.s. only

List Date: 2/5/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: LANIKAI LQA-TCA QUILT ASH ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC TENOR CUT-AWAY
--------------------------------------
Item Has Been Sold.

--------------------------------------
ga.aspx

Mobile friendly version: LANIKAI LQA-TCA QUILT ASH ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC TENOR CUT-AWAY

My, my look what eBay turned up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANIKAI-MOD...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...unlike the uke in this thread http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92770-New-alulu-all-koa-tenor-(acacia-koa) I can't absolutely swear that these are the same uke but the grain pattern on the back is very, very, close. Close enough that I'd bet a good dinner that these are the same. If so, the SECOND was described by the seller as

This ukulele is a factory blem that is being sold AS-IS due to some cosmetic flaws which can be viewed in the final 2 photos. In addition our technician inspected this uke and noted that this uke has a inverse neck which is causing it buzz all over. This uke would be best suited for someone who has the knowledge to correct the buzzing issue. There will also be a "D" or "U" stamp somewhere on it to signify to the factory that it is a blem.

It sold for $44.99 + $14.00 shipping on Dec. 8th. EBay user toddir58 received feedback from musicsales on the 9th.

BTW, this account (musicsales) seems to be a second account for Butler Music - between the musicsales account and butlermusic accoun there were a number a number of these seconds sold and most of them sold for around $45. I am only guessing at why butlermusic has this second account but I think they might be using it for stuff they think might result in bad feedback - though that's just a guess on my part.

Also FYI - ebay user toddir58 also has other recent feedback from Butler Music. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but we know that they specialize in seconds, and often very good deals, so buyer beware.

I've had my fun...I'll let somebody else research the other two, I'm reasonably sure it's more of the same.

John

That's a beautiful ukulele sir. Is it marked with a stamped letter at the top of the headstock? could you provide a pic of the top of headstock?? I know a lot of demos get nicked. any other scratches/nicks you see?

Buzzing all over the neck??? Sounds like a deal. Good find, John. Oh yeah.... I fully agree that this is the uke you found on ebay. The knots on the back by the cutaway, and the dark spots along the center seam, treble side match up as well. There's a cure for a back bow, but it's very costly.

i added a pic of the top of headstock as you requested there is no stamped letter any where that i can find on the uke just a little rough where the ash headstock laminate meets the neck wood which is a 3 piece construction

Image from ebay with image from seller overlaid at 50% opacity.

$_572.jpg

Same uke.

My, my look what eBay turned up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANIKAI-MOD...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...unlike the uke in this thread http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92770-New-alulu-all-koa-tenor-(acacia-koa) I can't absolutely swear that these are the same uke but the grain pattern on the back is very, very, close. Close enough that I'd bet a good dinner that these are the same. If so, the SECOND was described by the seller as

This ukulele is a factory blem that is being sold AS-IS due to some cosmetic flaws which can be viewed in the final 2 photos. In addition our technician inspected this uke and noted that this uke has a inverse neck which is causing it buzz all over. This uke would be best suited for someone who has the knowledge to correct the buzzing issue. There will also be a "D" or "U" stamp somewhere on it to signify to the factory that it is a blem.

It sold for $44.99 + $14.00 shipping on Dec. 8th. EBay user toddir58 received feedback from musicsales on the 9th.

BTW, this account (musicsales) seems to be a second account for Butler Music - between the musicsales account and butlermusic accoun there were a number a number of these seconds sold and most of them sold for around $45. I am only guessing at why butlermusic has this second account but I think they might be using it for stuff they think might result in bad feedback - though that's just a guess on my part.

Also FYI - ebay user toddir58 also has other recent feedback from Butler Music. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but we know that they specialize in seconds, and often very good deals, so buyer beware.

I've had my fun...I'll let somebody else research the other two, I'm reasonably sure it's more of the same.

John

Image from ebay with image from seller overlaid at 50% opacity.

View attachment 63731

Same uke.

Heh, heh....tough crowd!!

Deliberate misrepresentation. He obviously saw UU as an easy target and a source of some quick money. Aside from a few posts to establish a persona, everything has been trading. Buy cheap and ship em out at huge markup to the rubes. Shame we don't have any rubes on UU.

Someone bought this? Come on now, you clearly left out the fact that the instrument has buzzing issues. Again, if someone wants to pay more than you did, but the listing has honest information, whatever... But you clearly left out the flaws of it.

Someone bought this? Come on now, you clearly left out the fact that the instrument has buzzing issues. Again, if someone wants to pay more than you did, but the listing has honest information, whatever... But you clearly left out the flaws of it.

At least three of these were (re)listed on eBay as well. I'd bet it sold there to someone not doing their homework. I would hope that no one looking via UU would be taken in (or even through the panjo app since that links to the forum thread for the object for sale).

As a newbie, how does one figure out the great opportunities from the frauds?

I would not have been interested in this, but have seen some excellent ukes since joining ... recently.

Thanks for all of your hard work, and sleuthing abilities John.

Hey John, which do you want to be, Cagney or Lacey?

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not be the ugly one.

Hey John, which do you want to be, Cagney or Lacey?

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not be the ugly one.

BWAAA-HAAAA.

@sam13 - the marketplace is mostly safe. Occasionally somebody comes around thinking it's open season on newbies but somebody around here usually sets them straight pretty quickly. :)

I've purchased a few ukes out of the marketplace and never been disappointed but they were from people who have been active members here and don't just have a few "drive buy" sale posts. You'll find regular members value their UU reputations too much to offer iffy deals. I've given away ukes that were perfectly good but didn't meet my rather picky standards for tone or intonation rather than sell them on the marketplace and risk disappointing someone else. I suspect there are a lot of others around here with the same attitude.

That said, for your first couple of ukes it is probably safer to buy from an established shop (local or online) because until you have a little experience you really don't know how to evaluate an instrument. Places like HMS, Mim's, Uke Republic, etc. all have good reputations around here for customer service. You may (or may not) end up paying a few dollars more through one of these folks but you'll get a ukulele that is set up to play well and that is very important for a beginner - far more important than how pretty the uke is or even how "sweet" it may sound. Having a ukulele that intonates correctly up and down the neck and that is easy to play will help you learn and develop a good ear much more quickly.

Beyond that it's just like anything else online - exercise caution and do your homework. Watch ebay sales and see what things are selling for, but also pay attention to descriptions and see what's being sold. If one seller has been selling a lot of seconds, and a week or so later you start seeing the same models of ukes showing up from other sellers but not listed as seconds - that should at least raise a yellow flag. Searching closed auctions on eBay should be part of your regular "due diligence" when planning a purchase either here or on eBay.

John

Thanks for all of the input on this.......You're great detectives and Uke consumer advocates....Both this thread and the previous one re: the same seller are a real education on how not to get burned as a buyer.

Many thanks!

i added a pic of the top of headstock as you requested there is no stamped letter any where that i can find on the uke just a little rough where the ash headstock laminate meets the neck wood which is a 3 piece construction
I wonder if "someone" sanded the probable stamped letter down as I've never seen a "rough" headstock lam from Lanikai. curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks for all of the input on this.......You're great detectives and Uke consumer advocates....Both this thread and the previous one re: the same seller are a real education on how not to get burned as a buyer.

Many thanks!

I echo Maiden Uke's comments ... thanks for your thoughtful response John. You have my respect for your integrity and perhaps your Uke playing too ... :)

I agree with your comment regarding the next purchase of a Uke ... most likely a Pono Tenor Cedar/Rosewood combo ... love the warm tone of it.

Glad to be a part of a community that is honest and uke loving ... Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom