Kinnard Preview Photos

Stevelele

Reaction score
I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy anymore ukes after spending a lot on customs and having to sell some great ukes for home renovation projects. I am not proud of my UAS and try to control it, but sometimes it gets the best of me. When people started talking about John Kinnard ukes, I told myself that I was going to sit that one out. Afterall, how good could they really be and hadn't I already played enough awesome instruments? Well one UU'er who shall remain nameless (DR J!!!), convinced me that Kinnards are not to be missed. He made some comparisons to some very heavy hitters, so I couldn't resist.

So I had also heard these marvelous tales of the Moore Bettah Milo Spruce uke. I figure I'll never get to try it, so why not have good ole Mr. Kinnard make one for me. I found some excellent milo, which I supplied to Kinnard's business partner Kevin (lovely gentleman).
Milo and Padauk Tenors_2014-02-01_002.jpg
Milo and Padauk Tenors_2014-02-01_008.jpg
And to liven things up a bit, I found a figured piece of wood for the fingerboard, inspired by Chuck (although looks nothing like his personal uke).
Milo and Padauk Tenors_2014-02-01_024.jpg

The spruce was supplied by John--and wow, what a nice piece of spruce it is! Looks like it might even have tight curls--hard to see from the photo
Milo and Padauk spruce.jpg

I'm really excited. John Kinnard's work looks very very sharp. I'll keep you updated

Awesome looking uke. Brilliant idea on the Milo and spruce top. I assume you are going for a gloss finish. Sound port?
What is wood for that beautiful fingerboard? Cool figuring on it.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the completed instrument once you have it in your hands.
And yes, I can be a bad influence for UAS :D but you won't be sorry about this one.

Gloss finish--no soundport. The fingerboard is black and white ebony. It's hard to see it with that small photo, but it's super nice. Can't wait to try it.

Awesome looking uke. Brilliant idea on the Milo and spruce top. I assume you are going for a gloss finish. Sound port?
What is wood for that beautiful fingerboard? Cool figuring on it.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the completed instrument once you have it in your hands.
And yes, I can be a bad influence for UAS :D but you won't be sorry about this one.

Looking good Steve. Milo seems to be the "prize" wood these days. Can't wait to hear your review!

Last edited:
Congrats Steve. Aside from the fingerboard, for some reason it looks eerily familiar. :)

Way to go Steve. Yes, it will be fabulous. Milo is an intriguing choice and I bet will sound great the way John does his thing.

Wow! That uke looks wonderful! I love that Milo. What are its properties as a tonewood, and how would you compare it to more common ukulele woods like koa or more common guitar tonewoods like rosewood?

Wow! That uke looks wonderful! I love that Milo. What are its properties as a tonewood, and how would you compare it to more common ukulele woods like koa or more common guitar tonewoods like rosewood?

I don't know what it sounds like but Chuck Moore, Ko'olau, Jay Lichty, Aaron Oya to name a few likes the wood. I know Chuck likes to pair it with Spruce and Kimo Hussey was playing a redwood/milo tenor Ko'oalu that sounded really good.

http://koolauukulele.com/woods/

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?61509-Questions-about-Milo

You won't regret this decision one bit, especially once you get a chance to play one of his well-crafted instruments.

I once played a concert that was milo and koa: "the mountains and the sea". From a luthier in Hawaii. It was wonderful.

Great Combination of woods Steve. I've had my Kinnard for about a month now and the craftsmanship on it is incredible.
Looking forward to seeing your completed product.

Love your choices Steve. I read somewhere that Milo was the wood of choice for the early Hawaiian royalty. Must be pretty good. And I consider John S. Kinnard to be ukulele royalty so you are banging on all cylinders. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Thanks all...I'm super excited. I can't wait to hear this milo. I think it's really beautiful, too. I completely confess that looks are important to me...got to be honest. And this uke is starting to look really sharp.

Love your choices Steve. I read somewhere that Milo was the wood of choice for the early Hawaiian royalty. Must be pretty good. And I consider John S. Kinnard to be ukulele royalty so you are banging on all cylinders. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

It's done--here are some photos:

Milo_2014-02-16_008.jpgMilo_2014-02-16_026.jpgMilo_2014-02-16_021.jpgMilo_2014-02-16_009.jpg

Attachments

• Milo and Padauk Tenors_2014-02-01_008.jpg
    Milo and Padauk Tenors_2014-02-01_008.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom