Which inexpensive solid-top baritone?

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been thinking about picking up a baritone uke, and I've decided I want one with a solid spruce top. I don't want to spend a lot ... I just sold my Martin baritone because it represented too much invested in an occasionally played instrument. But I also know that if I go too cheap and buy a laminate after owning the Martin, that I'll likely be disappointed in the sound. I know I could buy a Harmony/Silvertone, but vintage ukes can have issues, and some of those old Chicago bari's were kind of overbuilt and dead-sounding. So, figuring that the import builders have their specs dialed in for decent sound, I'm looking at either an Ohana, Kala or Lanikai. Has anyone here had a chance to compare any of these? Any recommendations? Thanks!

I have a Lanikai S_B solid spruce top I bought from Butler Music at a discount [cracked,chipped]. I like it a lot. I also have had the LU gamblers special bari,. while not as nicely finished, it wasn't bad for the $, less than $50 I think. I also have a Martin and Pono, which are both nicer, but the S-B is very nice [as they say "for the price"] Haven't had a Kala or Ohana baris but I'm pretty sure all these sprucetops will sound similar, and may even be made in the same factory.

Hi Tommy I have played the three you mention and in my oplnion the Lanikai was tops, to my ears anyway.
Steve.

For a mahogany topped model, Check out both the Cordoba and the Ohana (basically first cousins)

Top Bottom