Outdoor Ukulele Tenor?

New tenor proto-type on Facebook.

Here's a link for those who like links in posts that mention something somewhere else on the Internet.
https://www.facebook.com/OutdoorUkulele

And here's a photo for those who can't get to the Facebook page.

attachment.php

The prototype was 3D printed. Took 4 days.

When you can get a fluke or flea for about the same price, It had better sound better than the soprano.

Phenolic nut and saddle, round neck and obviously larger sound box. My prediction is that this will end up being the uke they should have made in the first place.

I would need real serious motivation to trust the products from OU twice. I think they have a long slope to climb before people are willing to fork over a lot more cash for another (perhaps) poorly executed instrument. Just my opinion but in two years lurking and talking on these boards this is the first time i have said anything bad about a uke, that must mean something.
Bill

I'm a Soprano guy, so no interest there. Plus, the uke was made for hiking, backpacking, and in my case, motorcycling, so really, the soprano seems to be the ideal size for a uke that is supposed to be used and abused OUTDOORS. I DO use my Outdoor Uke for what it was built for, so I have no desire for the tenor.

Bill1, my outdoor uke does get played indoors if I'm motorcycling it to a hotel or something. It's been living in my car since I purchased it out of their second run, and on the Thursday night meetups in my area, if someone forgets theirs, breaks a string, or visiting and never played a uke before, I run out to the car and loan them the Outdoor Uke. Some have even purchased their own after playing mine. Slap some Aquila Reds on that puppy, and it sounds pretty decent. I mean, it's no wood uke, but considering it's plastic, it's not bad.

Just my two cents,
Dan

Thinking about this new tenor i suspect they are opening a can let unopened. When the soprano was released there were facebook questions about putting 'low g' strings on the soprano. now guitar players, etc will see the tenor, try to make it a guitar and will either continually ask about low-g or will go out and put low-g wounds on their tenor ODU, quickly wearing those frets. It won't be pretty.

Last edited:
Phenolic nut and saddle, round neck and obviously larger sound box. My prediction is that this will end up being the uke they should have made in the first place.

I'm hoping they implement these details for the soprano. I've been wanting one for a while, but holding out for a redesign. The tenor would be perfect for my husband and an improved soprano would be perfect for me.

I'm hoping they implement these details for the soprano. I've been wanting one for a while, but holding out for a redesign. The tenor would be perfect for my husband and an improved soprano would be perfect for me.

Have you tried one in their original form? I was leery about the flat neck, but got used to it quickly and find it quite comfortable. In fact, I never even pay it any attention while playing it.

Dan

The shape of the OU neck probably would be a nuisance to those who learned to play guitar with the strangling thumb over the neck. And you need to do that for some guitar styles.
On a uke you can do quite well by keeping your thumb against your fingers on the back of the neck, and if you do that with the OU it is a very fast neck, especially for barre chords.
It is interesting how there are people who want a plastic wooden uke to be made by OU and still don't get the simple fact that it is about the outdoors, like you can take it when you go on a real hike. Possibly this is because of how much it costs so it gets grouped with low cost wooden ukes, but it is not really in that category of uke. If you want a low cost indoor uke, you may be disappointed with an OU.

Not my kind of uke, as I don't hike, etc. But I'm glad to see OU perserveering here, because they do meet a need. And what was that, didn't Henry Ford go bankrupt a couple times before he finally succeeded? Stepping stones... We all have them.

Not my kind of uke, as I don't hike, etc. But I'm glad to see OU perserveering here, because they do meet a need. And what was that, didn't Henry Ford go bankrupt a couple times before he finally succeeded? Stepping stones... We all have them.

Agreed, it will take time to perfect. It's early days for low cost plastic ukuleles; i'm sure they'll improve.

Ah, lucky it wasn't a concert version. Just ordered the soprano but would have liked concert size much better. But agreed, adjustable bridge and saddle are a good idea, round neck probably too. I am curious how I will like the flat neck. That was one of the main concerns I found in this forum when it was discussed before the OU was built, now for the tenor they adressed it, I think that is a good sign.

New tenor proto-type on Facebook.

this actually looks like something i may consider. I wasn't into the soprano version
but a tenor version may be cool actually.

Just received an email from ODU about the tenor. Heard their prototype. The prototype tenor sounded much better than the soprano ODU I received.

I did not enjoy the sound my soprano ODU produced. So, I'll pass on the tenor.
Still it is a cool idea, and I hope this ODU tenor delivers good sound in final production model.

http://outdoorukulele.com/tenor

I'm going to order one. I think the thing about the soprano ODU was that, when it first came out people expected it to sound a certain way and feel a certain way, and as musicians some people on this board were disappointed. We're dealing with a product that is brand new...it isn't a new concept and it isn't a new take on older plastic ukuleles, but an honest attempt at making an instrument that performs well enough outdoors to make you interested in packing it along. It is way heartier than any other uke on the market and frankly, I do think it sounds much better than a Dolphin or cheapie uke (but that's my personal opinion).

The huge advantage that the ODU has on every cheapie uke: it is desirable. It is something that looks like it cost money to produce, it feels unique and strong, and it is American-made. It is a great example of how an innovative industry like specialty outdoor retail can influence the music industry and create something truly new. They could have used a cheaper plastic, but they didn't want it to warp and weaken over time. They could have built it lighter, but they saw that one of the best values in the uke is its durability. They could have made it cheaper, but why sacrifice build quality? I do honestly think that, from a value perspective the ODU in any size is a must-have because it can go anywhere at any time and in any season.

I know people around here love their Dolphins, but personally I think they look like toys and I would be a little self-conscious about bringing one around everywhere I go. Not that I don't like color and fun, but I take uke seriously (as seriously as you can with something so fun) and I don't really want to spend money on something that is cheaply made and looks cheapish...I want people to see the uke as an instrument first and a fun machine second. Similarly, I don't think that the $55 dollars you save by buying the Dolphin over an ODU is worth it if you want a uke that you can put in rough spots once in a while, because I don't trust that the Dolphin can survive some of the things I've been able to do with the ODU. I'd rather spend $100-$150 once than spend $50 every year to replace broken ukes.

Also, being American-made is huge for me personally. I don't get into political discussions often, but I do work in the outdoor industry and I think it is incredibly heartening to see a cool an innovative product being produced in the USA. They're taking risks, they're trying new things and I just think it's really cool that they're able to expand their line and bring a tenor to the table...I'm excited to get it!

No matter what, it'll need the Aquila Reds on it. My soprano ODU sounds fantastic with the Reds compared to every other string I tried!

Last edited:
Top Bottom