Song Help Request Chord change F to D

michaelphipps

Reaction score
Someone mentioned that they had problems moving from F to D. I can't find the original thread so I am posting a response here.

Code:
     F    D
A----0----0---|
E----1----2---|
C----0----2---|
G----2----2---|

I play F with my index finger on the E string 1st fret and middle finger on G string 2nd fret.

I found the easiest way to move to D is to move my index finger to G 2nd fret, middle finter to C 2nd fret, and my ring finger to E 2nd fret, rather than trying to barre the D.

Another option is to use your thumb to play the D chord.

Hope the original poster finds this info useful. Sorry I couldn't find the correct thread to post it in...

for d use your index, midle, and ring fingers ;] no another way

Another option is to use your thumb to play the D chord.

i can never get that. ive tried for so long and i would always mess up.

the only thing, for me, is that when i play the D chord with my index, middle, and ring finger, i can never seem to hit the E7 chord:

Code:
A---2---|
E---0---|
C---2---|
G---1---|

can anybody help me with that maybe?

Call me the oddball here but I like to fret the D chord starting at the middle and ending with the pinky. I started doing that out of the need to squeeze my fat fingers into the space and it seems to work well for me. Plus all the use has toughened up that weak link (skinny pinky) in my chording.

i can never get that. ive tried for so long and i would always mess up.

the only thing, for me, is that when i play the D chord with my index, middle, and ring finger, i can never seem to hit the E7 chord:

can anybody help me with that maybe?

Code:
A---0------2---|
E---2------0---|
C---2------2---|
G---2------1---|

D chord: Index on G, middle on C, ring on E
E7 chord from D chord position: move index down to fret 1, leave middle where it is, move ring to A string Fret 2

Practice changing between the chords. Play D for 4 beats, then E7 for 4 beats, then slowly build up speed.

Trick is to start slowly, and don't build up speed to quick. I always get impatient and miss that step.

Actually, if you want something fun to practice the change with, try my 12 bar blues tab: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848

Last edited:
Um, I'm not sure if I ever played a song that had a chord change from F to D.:confused:

Anyway, I hardly ever use three fingers to fret the D chord. I usually use my middle finger alone and bar the D and leave the A string open. I think this way frees up all your other fingers to do other stuff too.

Code:
A---0------2---|
E---2------0---|
C---2------2---|
G---2------1---|

D chord: Index on G, middle on C, ring on E
E7 chord from D chord position: move index down to fret 1, leave middle where it is, move ring to A string Fret 2

Practice changing between the chords. Play D for 4 beats, then E7 for 4 beats, then slowly build up speed.

Trick is to start slowly, and don't build up speed to quick. I always get impatient and miss that step.

Actually, if you want something fun to practice the change with, try my 12 bar blues tab: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848

thanks bro, i was actually working of it after i posted up. i can kinda get it now. its funny, i can play D to E7 when i barre the D but not that well when i use my index-ring fingers.

Well this thread is reassuring. The way I learned the D chord for the first time was in one of Aldrine's videos, I believe the Serenade/Harana tutorial. And he barred across the entire three strings with his index finger, without touching the A string. And I couldn't do it. My finger just cannot physically bar all three strings without touching the A string. So I needed to cheat with my index, middle, and ring. Now, I know that's a totally fine way to play it. Score!

D is a tough one for me too -- what works best for me is to hit G and C strings with my index finger (kinda diagonally) and hit E with my middle finger.

have fun

Do the 3 finger vs. barre for D chord. Difficult for my stiff joints to barre 2220. Which 3 fingers sometimes depends on the previous chord and the chord transitioning to from the D. F to D, probably middle,ring,little for the D chord.

Last edited:
For D, I barre G & C strings with my middle figer, and E string 2nd fret with my ring finger.
This is much easier for changing chord cuz your index is still free.

since i have pudgy fingers i just use my middle finger and push down all three strings for the d chord.

lol

:p

Top Bottom