Best low-G string for soprano

NatalieS

Reaction score
I want to try low-G strings on my koa Lanikai, but dont' know which brand to go for. I don't want to overwhelm the instrument since it's a soprano-- or do I even need to be concerned about that? I tried low-G Worths on my Fluke and really hated the sound of it. The G was too loud and drowned out the other strings.

Is there a particular brand that is tried and proven to sound great on sops? Worth? Aquila? I'd really appreciate any opinions before I buy them. Thanks!!

I'm not sure about which is the best... but I just put a set of concert Low G Aquilas on my Soprano and I am liking it right now. The G does not ring out louder than the other strings... it just blends with the rest of the strings. I would recommend them.

Cool, thanks! Is there any reason to choose concert strings over soprano?

Cool, thanks! Is there any reason to choose concert strings over soprano?

I read lots of claims that the added tension from concert strings gives a fuller sound to a cheaper uke. I tried it with Aquila concerts on a Kala 15s and I believe the myth to be true. I can't articulate it well, but its like the strings are louder and more responsive. However, certain individuals have cautioned that added tension is a potential hazard and could cause you to lose an eyeball, so if you try it, wear protective eye gear. Others have stated that concerts routinely work well on sopranos and there is nothing to be concerned about. Like I said, it worked well for me so far.

I bought soprano/concert Oracas (low g, hard) and strung 'em on a soprano(ish) P.O.S., and I gotta admit, I like the Orcas too. But I hate low g. Its probably because of the Piece Of S... that I strung 'em on. But I haven't seen any Orca soprano.concert strings for sale that ARE'T low g.

If I had to pick a single brand of strings for a Lanikai koa soprano, I'd chose concert sized Aquilas. But in a perfect world I'd have a variety of differnet brands to play around with and choose based on that.

Top Bottom